Craftsman self propelled mower Question

I have a craftsman self propelled push mower about 8 years old that needs a new belt to drive the self propelled gearbox. They have put a plastic shield over this belt making it seam impossible to change. Does anyone know the trick to changing this belt. I cant see anyway to get this belt off without removing this shield and the plastic shield wont come off either!
most of the craftsman mowers that have a plastic shield will snap in place and or will have a screw that holds it in place. It usually is covered in grass and rusty so it may be hard to see...
Before driving yourself nuts, I went thru a similar situation, Craftsman self propelled lawn mower, wasn't propelling. I could lift the back of the mower off the ground with the mechanism engaged, and the wheels would turn. put them down on the ground, nothing. Not strong enough to push it. So, I special ordered the belt, paid a premium, had to drive to pick it up, went thru the ordeal of changing (I don't remember how I got the plastic shield off, but I managed) got it all working, and the new belt was no better than the old one. I was more than a little pissed.
That was my experience; your's may and will hopefully vary and be better for you.
Maury Wylie, TX