Craftsman (again) Return Policy?

Page 1 of 2
I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I can't pull up the articles.
Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most other tools?
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖

Unless it has changed in the last year they are still pretty good about it. I bought broken tools at a yard sell for almost nothing and got them exchanged. Tools included a broken shovel and a couple of worn out ratchets. No Problem.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
JIMMIE wrote:

I seem to recall you need a receipt.... something I am always losing! - paul
Add pictures here
✖

Nope, no receipt needed -- as long as the word 'Craftsman' is still legible on the handle of the tool, they'll exchange it. Or repair it -- they had a problem a few years back with failures of the ratchet mechanism on some of their ratchet wrenches. I returned one, expecting to get a new wrench; instead, the clerk pulled out a repair kit, replaced the ratchet mechanism in about 30 seconds, and handed the wrench back to me.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 13, 1:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I liked those repair kits... the really old ratchets were much nicer than the new ones, at least as far as feel in one's hand goes. I haven't seen one in years though.
That said, I did manage to get lucky once where I took a friend's 1/2" drive new-ish ratchet in for repair/exchange after the ratchet stopped working (one of those deals where we'd both collected a boxful of busted tools and it was getting to the point where we had to replace them to get any work done, rather than both of us go I just took both boxes) and they didn't have any equivalent new models on the shelf. I walked out with a repaired polished-handle model instead. I thought for a brief second about going to another store and buying him a new, standard one but That Would Have Just Been Wrong.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Receipt solution: I scan anything in if I even think I may need it some years out. They just sit in a receipts folder with some descriptive name. Some of the "You need the receipt" places get depressed when I can produce it. Couple of examples: New motor for a Shop-Vac, 3 new 18v batteries for a contractors cordless set, ceiling fan, etc. Works for me.
Add pictures here
✖

Will they accept a copy of a receipt rather than the original? I could see them being suspucious of abuse if they allowed copies.
--
charles

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote in wrote:

Depends... :-)
Add pictures here
✖
Just lurking here but I haven't been able to return anything for the last 5 years. A new screwdriver came loose from the handle and that was "my fault for the way I used it." A drill couldn't be replaced when it caught on fire. Since they went with K Mart, at least around here, I won't buy their brand anymore.

✖

Saving your receipt using your scanner is an excellent idea. One feature scanners need is a one button way to scan the file to the computer without actually sitting down at the keyboard.
Add pictures here
✖
metspitzer wrote:

you do have to title and direct the output file. In addition, you have to wait and wait and wait because it is the dumbest scanner I've ever owned. I think it's going to accidentally fall off the table someday. And it seems every version of the drivers gets worse and worse instead of better. Now beside waiting for the lamp to warm up, even though it just scanned 5 seconds ago, it wants to scan everything in some super slow mode. I admit that I haven't Googled this problem, just hacked at it myself to try, without luck, for some improvement.
Add pictures here
✖
Art Todesco wrote:

heh.
I have two scanners, a Canon flatbed and an all-in-one deal that I don't even remember who it's made by. (the latter now living in the girlie's office, despite having been a present from her. IT's OK, I'll buy her car parts for xmas.)
Both have such a button, but I can't remember ever having said button function...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

buttons to work. On my dump Microtek, there is a separate program to set up the buttons. The scanner still works bad. It's getting closer to the edge of the table.
Add pictures here
✖

At one time, and maybe they still do, there was a separate business card scanner for such small items.
Add pictures here
✖
JIMMIE wrote:

Boy Jimmie, you oughta win the "There is no right way to do the wrong thing" award for that. <G>
Re the OP, my son cracked a Craftsman socket a few weeks ago and had no problems exchanging it for a new one at our local Sears, without a receipt.
OTOH I had a Craftsman oscillating lawn sprinkler give out on me last year and brought it with me on a shopping visit to Sears. The clerk gave me a new sprinkler of similar design, but not marked Craftsman. I asked him if the replacement would have a lifetime warranty and he told me it wouldn't and that they no longer carried "Craftsman" sprinklers.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I think the difference is that a socket is a "hand tool" and therefore it is covered but a lot of other stuff has a limited warranty not a lifetime one.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

In '92 I bought two Craftsman garden hoses (clearly marked). Years later they were replaced by Sears -- free and still carried the same warranty. A pin hole leak on the threads for the end.
I once replaced a 3/8 " ratchet. What they gave me was a *refurbished* tool. It looked NEW.
Add pictures here
✖
The Ranger wrote:

There'd been reports of salesdroids refusing returns/exchanges for various silly reasons. A couple of weeks ago The Consumerist (A Consumers Union blog) got on the story, and got the higher-ups at Sears to crack down on the morons staffing the returns counters. Full story at http://consumerist.com/5183468/sears-clarifies-craftsman-tools-warranty
Here's the memo Sears sent out to its staff:
Subject: Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty
There have been several news articles and emails regarding customers being denied Craftsman Hand Tool exchanges for reasons that are not part of the warranty. We've had specific complaints of denied exchanges based on:
- Tools having rust on them
- A 3 Piece per day limit on exchanges
These are NOT valid reasons for denying our customers their right to exchange their Craftsman Tools under the Lifetime Warranty.
The warranty states: "If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state."
Our Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty is one of the most important competitive advantages we have in the market. It is crucial that we ensure all of our sales associates are trained to understand all the hand tools that are covered under this warranty.
Add pictures here
✖
Hell Toupee wrote:

Thx
Add pictures here
✖
Hell Toupee wrote:

Just moved here and I don't think there is a Sears tool department, just a mail order place. But, there is a Kmart.
Add pictures here
✖