Courtesy light stays on

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

Reply to
gary

My roommates Chevy Venture van was having electrical problems caused by water getting into the wiring harnesses that run along the floor channels right inside of the door sills covered by plastic covers and carpet. It could be shorted to ground or to a hot wire depending on the circuit design. For some odd reason, the manufacturer wrapped the darn connections with a cloth type tape instead of heat shrink tubing. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

try checking he right door switch it may be bad

Reply to
bob haller

So it stays on forever, and runs your battery down overnight?

You've had to remove the bulb?

When you put the bulb back, it goes on immediately, even if all the doors are closed?

Or it doesn't go on until you open a door?

The light above the left rear door and other courtesy lights go on when any door is opened?

Reply to
micky

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

If it is like our Caravan, there is a switch on the lights right and left rear doors that have a switch on them. Switch on, light stays on. switch off only lights when door is opened and shuts off in about 30 seconds when door is closed. WW

Reply to
WW

RTFB!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Hi, No 3 position switch for the lamp like On-Off-Auto if it is in On position by accident?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

gary

How about checking the switch position on the courtesy lamp itself? Some DO have switches - with an on/off/door selection, or a simple on/door selection..

The lamp has power at all times and is grounded by the jam switch or exit delay circuit when the door is opened - or grounded by the "on" switch. If a wire was shoirted to ground all of the courtesy lights should stay on.

Reply to
clare

No matter what google claims, this is Usenet.

alt.home.repair is a Usenet name, referring to a Usenet group, that google is copying and piggybacking on.

Reply to
micky

I think you've got it. In my defense, i drive a convertible, so it has very few courtesy lights. I guess I'm supposed to use the moon, even when the top is up.

(My Toyota has a light behind the right hand door, next to the rear seat, that is on whenever either door is open. No way to turn it off. That stinks.)

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Google serves as a "front end" to Usenet, like homeownershub and a number of other sites.

When you "post" to Google Groups, Google just forwards your message to their own NNTP server, and the message propagates to Usenet just like it would had you posted to your own NNTP server directly.

The difference is that when you post through Google, Google gets to collect information about you and feed you ads on the same page as the NNTP content. Actual NNTP is ad-free.

Reply to
Tegger

The URL is:

Stormin Mormon

gary wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You mean the Usenet forum that Google likes to pretend is their own.

There is no one "auto repair" group, but there are several that are concerned with auto repair, some of them brand-specific. Try posting to rec.autos.tech; it's still fairly active. Alt.autos.gm is also still pretty active.

And if you want to escape Google's jail and experience Usenet as it was meant to be, try Usenet directly through someplace like Eternal September.

Reply to
Tegger

not sure if the lights in that work traditionally or if it's all multiplexed and intelligent now... but the first thing that I would check would be to pull the light in question down and see if there is a chafed wire anywhere near it. The old school way to turn the lights on is through a switched ground; it seems odd that they all don't turn on though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Another difference is that when people using google reply to a post of mine, the attribution line doesn't call me Micky. It refers to me by the name I used when I signed up for google. I'm sure that's confusing to others and I find it annoying. I want my Usenet identity used all the time, and not have google interfering.

(Of course that's nothing compared to how it wants to interfere in my Android phone. By careful work, I found out how to back up my internal phone book without letting google know what is in it.)

Reply to
micky

Plus he needs a reader. If he's using a PC, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Internet Explorer have free newsreaders. Agent costs something, but it has more versatility than any of the 3.

Reply to
micky

What about free agent?

Reply to
clare

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I prefer XNews. Tried others, but keep going back to XNews.

XNews is free.

Reply to
Tegger