Coupon semi-scam

I needed to get a work-car painted in order to sell it, so naturally I looked up my nearest MAACO dealer. I found a MAACO shop just a few miles from my house.

While I was at it, I looked up "MAACO Coupon" on Google and, sure enough, there exists one for 10% off the paint part of the project.

I printed the coupon and took it with me to MAACO.

"It's not our coupon," said the shop manager. That "Bradsdeals" web-site dummies up this thing, for what reason we do not know.We have some reports Bradsdeals charges about $80/year to host a (fake?) coupon, but this coupon is definitely not sanctioned by MAACO."

Drat! Oh well...

In a couple of minutes, the manager returns with a printed estimate of the agreed-on work. "I went ahead and took 10% off the painting part of the job - my adjustment for 'customer relations' ".

So, I got the coupon price for an imaginary coupon!

It's all so confusing.

Reply to
HeyBub

I bet you can get 10% off just by asking. I'm sure he did not want you to leave pissed off so he gave you a deal.

What was the cost of painting? Varies by type of paint you want?

I remember the Earl Sheib ads in the 60's "We'll paint any car any color for $29.95" that usually ended up to be about a hundred bucks with all the add ons. Door jambs extra, masking extra, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

MAACO has five different paint processes that vary in price, the cheapest being $295.

In my case, after the 10% discount, my medium level choice ended up at $1045 to paint a '97 Chevy S1 pickup. The job included a couple of minor body repairs - taking out dents. The job includes enamel paint and clear-coat coverage. The work has a five-year guarantee (pro-rated).

A local GM dealership quoted $2400 and a paint and body shop offered the job for $2200.

I'm sure the job will look absolutely swell come next Saturday when I pick up the vehicle; how long the job lasts is yet to be determined.

=========

  • I did some repair work myself. For example, I bought, and installed, a used driver-side door for 0. By doing SOME of the work on my own, I was able to get the entire vehicle painted - instead of just a touch-up - for the insurance settlement of 40. I even have a few bucks left over.

So far, it looks like I'm coming out ahead. We'll see.

Reply to
HeyBub