Countertop Restoration Kit

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using this product to restore Formica Countertops:
http://www.modernmasterstransformations.com /
Any feedback what be much appreciated!
Thanks in Advance, -a12vman

$248 a kit that does up to 50 sq. ft.? I could by new laminate for a lot less.
I should probably mention that part of my countertop(an 8' length) is 36" Wide, much wider than your stock countertops at the Big Box stores. Are you suggesting that I can do a custom size for under $248?

a12vman wrote:

Standard size laminate sheets are 48" x 96". A sheet runs around $50 at Lowes, HD, etc.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

****Wwondering if anybody has done a kitchen countertop with a product called 'Sunstone". Is it anything like Formica or other laminate? Any info/experience appreciated, including referrals to appropriate forum.
IA
On 1/9/2010 3:36 PM, a12vman wrote:

I guess I'd be leery of it as it does not look that easy to apply, they don't appear to give a long term warranty, and I do not know of any solid surface product made with epoxy resin. I would only consider it if it had been in use for several years and had favorable reviews otherwise you stand the risk of having to start over in a few years.

I have. Commonly used for countertop restoration. I was looking into redoing my Formica but SWMBO finally realized our counters are fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7leWebt_xM

On 1/9/2010 6:29 PM, Master Betty wrote:

Good information but looks like a job for a pro. Not something I would try. Just not sure how epoxy would hold up versus melamine resin in formica or acrylic in Corian.

It wouldn't hold up as well. Nothing that thin is going to. It's just a covering added to the base; whatever that may be. The resin is impregnated into the pre-fab stuff?
We're easy on counter tops so I wouldn't worry about mine and It's a good way to fix up a house you're going to sell if you have to be cheap. Or if tearing out the counter is more like a full-blow kitchen remodel.
On 1/9/2010 7:07 PM, Master Betty wrote:

My Formica looks good after 35 years and I'm familiar enough with Corian to know about it's repairability. Have a couple of polyester bathroom sinks that are etched after years exposure to moisture and soap sitting on surface and if they were in the kitchen, new would be needed. Like I say, there are so many new solid surface products out there, I'd like to see long term durability. If I moved every few years, it would not make any difference.

On the web site they say cleanable or something similar if used with non-abrasive cleaners. So if you use Comet or something similar, all bets are off.