cost of building a home

Just off the top of my head, they will also need a well driller cum water system installer, septic system installer, insulation contractor, cabinet maker, counter installer, flooring contractor for each different type of floor, maybe tile setter and/or brick mason, entertainment- telephone-data-alarm system pre-wire, and perhaps a landscape contractor.

If they buy off-the-shelf cabinets, the finish carpenter can set them, but they will still need someone to do the counter tops. The world has moved past self-edge and Formica.

The expense of modern homes is the feature set. The structure is still pretty much the same, but standards of performance have snowballed. Nobody wants to pay a fortune for air conditioning or heat, which means attention to energy efficiency. For that matter, nobody wants to live without central heat or air conditioning. I was a teenager before my parents installed their first furnace, and was almost 40 years old before I owned my first furnace.

The newest thing is the expansion of data lines into a service utility just like power and water. In the near future, you will need to connect your home entertainment system to the internet, and nobody has yet proposed a wireless standard that will transmit a 1080p signal. You need a megabit ethernet cable to a surprising number of locations. I have been pulling cable through my crawl space, but if you have a slab house, that's a problem. I pre-wired HDMI and audio cables during my last remodel, but now I wish I had done more. This may seem minor, but it all adds up.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

re: I pre-wired HDMI and audio cables during my last remodel, but now I wish I had done more. This may seem minor, but it all adds up.