Corroded Batteries

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents "easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded batteries?

Reply to
Rob_Lowe

If you know what make the batteries are, do you know if they are supposedly "guaranteed leak-proof"? Many years ago I had a flashlight replaced free when the supposedly leak-proof Ray-o-Vac batteries ruined it.

So *maybe* you don't need to get the old batteries out.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If this is a rigid body light like a "Mag", wrap some leather, rubber or similar substance around it, clamp it in your Vice Grips and whack it against something hard (hitting the pliers) and let inertia drive the batteries out.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sad to hear. Do you know the brand and type of batteries? Alkalines remove differently than carbon zincs.

I've sent back flash light with corroded Duracell, and they sent me a debit card to buy myself another light. (Note: Card only works three times, and I lost the rest of the balance.)

Rayovac had some leak (new in package) and they sent me a load of high value coupons (up to ten bucks, some fives, and some singles) which I used to buy more batteries.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Being ALKALINE batteries, a mixture of vinegar and hot water will likely be more effective.

Reply to
clare

I assure you, the light is now shot...toss it.

Reply to
philo

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac, new in the package. Bunch of liquid and crystaline white inside the package. Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I usually buy Duracell batteries, assume that is my noted situation.

If I can get the batteries out, is thaere a suggestion as to how I might protect the battery tube, before putting in new batteries?

Reply to
Rob_Lowe

Rob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

Send it back to the battery manufacturer and they will either repair it or send you a check for an equivalent model.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The big three do have warranties. I've used the Duracell warranty twice. And had some Rayovac leakers (not in lights). Both companies have been good about the replacements.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) screw an eye bolt in the tail of the last battery. use cord as DIY slid e hammer to pull the last battery out. Hope that the other two aren't as s tuck 2) remove both head and tail from battery tube, if possible, and use a dowe l to knock the batteries out of the tube

for cleanup I have found that after flushing with water, Deoxit will get mo st of the nastiness out. If you need mechanical cleaning some scotchbrite (rip off small squares and push through with dowel etc.) may help. I'd def initely spray down with deoxit after finishing. Maybe even Boeshield T-9 o r similar if this is a "hard use" light but only on the battery tube not on electronics (if any - I'm assuming that this is a modern LED light or you wouldn't be going through the trouble.)

Grease the threads and O-rings with Super Lube, Sil-Glyde, something like t hat.

and ditch the alkalines! Energizer Lithiums for primaries, or LSD NiMH for rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell Ion Core (which are supposedly rebr anded Eneloop XX for an excellent price, and readily available in stores no w), Maha Imedion, Tenergy Centura, etc.) Otherwise this will just happen a gain...

If the cells are well and truly stuck, if you can determine or already know what brand they are (and it's a major brand), contact the cell manufacture r, they may buy you a new light.

nate

Reply to
N8N