Corner bead rust

The corner bead around one of the windows in a bathroom is showing rust through the wallpaper. I guess it was put in when the house was built back in the early 1980's. Should I replace the bead to prevent rust from progressing & staining the new wallpaper/paint or can I just paint over it with some rust preventing paint?

Reply to
gplantam

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1160267462.724711.56420 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

You need to find out why it is rusting is the primary thing.

First thought, especially being around a window, is that moisture is getting in there from the outside. If it is coming from outside, what effect has the moisture had on from where it is entering till it reached the corner bead?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I don't know how you would get to the corner bead to effect a repair without losing the paint, texture, compound, and existing corner bead. It must be getting wet from somewhere and once rust has started . . .

If you decide to tear the area apart, they do make MR drywall (moisture resistant - green board) and Trim Tex makes excellent corner bead and drywall trim that is totally plastic. I would use thermal setting compound to reduce the disintegration factor. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I have a corner bead, right at the entry to our shower, that rusted quite deeply - all along the flange at the bottom. After grinding off rust, putting on Rustoleum primer, it continued to rust through the patching compound. I finally dug it out again and cut off the section that was worst rusted, primed what I could reach, "walled off" the deeper edge with silicone caulk, let that cure well, and then patched and painted. About a year and a half, and it is holding. The problem was that the tile baseboard took a very minute dip by the corner bead and would hold water. Fixed that, too, by building up the grout a little bit. After I put up new wallpaper, I taped the bottom edges and sides of paper (next to shower stall) with a fine line of grout to keep steam from loosening the paper.

If just the corner has a touch of rust, I would sand off the rust, use rust primer right away, let it cure very well. Be sure the room is very dry when you work on the bead.

Reply to
Norminn

The corner bead is embedded under the patching compound. I don't know how moisture got to it, unless it just permeated the wall slowly over the years. I'm sanding down the metal bead to get all rust off. It isn't consumed with rust, but just enough for rust stains to be showing along the outside corner...enough to stain the wallpaper.

So I'm going to prime the exposed bead and patch over it. Any better ideas? I may be able to use tape, or maybe place a new vinyl bead over it to get a clean-shaped edge.

Norm> > The corner bead around one of the windows in a bathroom is showing rust

Reply to
gplantam

Reply to
gplantam