copperhead repellant?

Page 2 of 2

Yep -- in fact, it's called "snake shot".
--
Regards,
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:27:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Another question about guns and the movies.
In the movies sometimes, the hero is underwater and he gets his gun out and shoots someone. Once I even saw him shoot someone when the gun was still underwater.
Doesn't the barrel fill with water, and isn't it dangerous to shoot the gun when there is such an obstruction? Will the bullet get out of the barrel at all?
Even if the water is poured out, there will still be a thin layer or a few drops of water sticking to the inside of the barrel. Is there a problem shooting the gun until that evaporates? After all, there is not that much space between the bullet and the barrel.
mm wrote:

They also show bullets "sparking" on various metals too. Movies have their own "reality distortion" that bears little resemblance to "real life." The fear of firearms is fed largely by the movie industries' depiction of guns and bullets as they wish they were rather than how they really are.
--
Grandpa

Good point.
Remmember: Guns don't shoot people. Dick Cheney does.
It (the snake) would be dead on the first shot, as far as the noise making it mad, I think not, Probably never even feel the shot that killed it (snakes don't hear).
CCI makes shot shots for many caliber pistols
Searcher

Both will come at you. I encountered a copperhead as I crossed a stream and it came at me, scared hell out of me.
RobertM wrote:

First of all, if any snake in my yard is a protected species they are going to get one of my protected buckshot rounds !!
I would try the snake repellants and I've also heard that spreading a lot of mothballs helps too.
I keep a sharp shovel on hand in case, but that shotgun is always a backup -- protected or not !

I tried spreading several boxes of mothballs when I lived in Arizona. I think the rattlesnakes eat mothballs. It never kept them away. This ecology thing all sounds nice but I'm inclined to think that humans are also a protected species. The people who make these laws live in fancy penthouses and never encountered a poisonous snake while mowing their lawn. I'll buy some repellant and try it but I'll also have backup.
Bob

Arizona is a very big state. I would think you would need thousands of tons.

So that's what I did wrong. I only put mothballs around the outside of my house. Most of the rattlers killed out there were road kill. Then the buzzards cleaned up the mess.
Bob
The only protection I give a posinous snake is to protect from biting anyone and that is by killing the thing.
I carry a .357 loaded with snake shot, I dispatch any dangerous snakes that are invading the saftey zone of me or my family (dog included). I carry my gun whenever I go fishing too..
Searcher
says... :) Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants :) advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really :) work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a :) protected species? :) :) If placed under a shed or deck they can help for a short term, if placed as barrier so they won't cross, I have never heard of them being effective.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
I've used a couple of types of repellamnts and they are not fool proof. They may discourage them but not absolutely repel them. One of the powderted ones is nothing more than glorified moth balls and the liquid has an odor which is somewhat likle a combo of ginger and pepper. I must say that the nonvenomous species seem to be less repelled than the poisonous ones.
RobertM wrote:

Get a mongoose. Maybe get a couple and sell their offspring to friends and neighbors :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________

If you can't get a mongoose, get a monkey and a goose.

This is Turtle.
There is two repellants .
Moth balls and a shotgun. Mothballs does a better job.
TURTLE

Never had any luck with the mothballs. It's also difficult to harvest them. Need one person to hold the wings, another to use tweezers to pull them off. :-)
Bob
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:06 -0600, RobertM wrote:

Never heard of any repellent that worked - many claims, but no scientific proof. Best bet is to get rid of food supply and shelter. Copperheads, along with other pit vipers, feed mainly on warm blooded animals - mainly rodents - so make sure you don't have anything in the area to attract rodents and you should find that you have fewer copperheads, and snakes in general.
Remove rock and brush piles to a location away from your yard to encourage any snakes that remain (and you do need some to keep pest populations in check) to stay away from the house.
When you've done the above, kill any poisonous snakes that endanger you, your family or pets. Do not kill snakes indiscriminately as some - like king snakes - will help to keep the poisonous ones in check.
Later, Mike (substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly) ----------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net
Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.
be sure its a copper head. garder snakes are mistaken for copper heads.the garder has a allmost yellow gold stripe all the way down its back,copperhead doesnt. garders are very helpful in controlling mice and dont bite humans.im sure you could do a search. coppers are usually around water.lucas