copperhead repellant?

Page 1 of 2
Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a protected species?
Bob

A copperhead (Florida) will come at you... don't shoot them and be careful in their turf you can surprise them..... Call a local state office if you have serious problems.
You'll amazed at how high I "could jump" that day face to snake with a copperhead.

In Tennessee, then entire state is their habitat. If I called the county agent every time I saw a copperhead, the county agent would soon think I was the pest. Most folks around here kill them, but snakes are good for rodent control. I'd prefer find a way to keep them away from the lawn. Rattlesnakes tend to be a problem, too, but not as bad. The lawnmower usually wins when there is a chance encounter while cutting the lawn.
Bob

Sounds like you have your share. I was on the Cumberland River (Jackson County) last week. I happened to ask about the varieties of snakes there. It seemed moccasins where the big deal. I didn't hear about copperheads there, but the terrain would be ideal for them.
If I can't avoid them, yes I would kill them if necessary.

Gainesboro, nice little town. Yes, Jackson County has an abundance of copperheads and rattlers. It's also a hotspot for the brown recluse. If the snakes don't get ya, the spiders will. I'm an hour east of there, a few more mountains, a few more snakes.
Bob

I thought that was COTTONMOUTH snakes?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No offense meant. I'm really curious and you're the first person I could ask.
Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more aggressive?

mm wrote:

Think shotgun. 12 gauge. 7 shots. From 15 feet.

The previous poster, Searcher, said .357. That means a pistol, right?
I didn't know there was a pistol that shot shot. Until tonight.
I had never heard of a shotgun shell for a pistol before tonight.
Right?
mm wrote:

Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i 78
--
Grandpa

Thanks, and thanks to all. I learn something new every day.
And I wasn't making things up in thinking it would be hard to shoot a snake with a bullet.

Not if you're Jed Clampett.

Rumor has it that black-powder pistol balls move slowly enough that rattlesnakes see the ball coming, and strike at it. I have no idea if that's true, but it makes a good story.
Goedjn wrote:

Won't make much difference to the shooter, because rumor has it that those snakes can 75 feet and swallow a man whole in 1/4 second. Wonder if the guy can pull the trigger before he is swallowed.
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:41:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Maybe he can pull the trigger after he is swallowed, and make himself a way out.

Men In Black do it all the time.
mm wrote:

back in the early 80's i bought some 38 shot. in fact i just found them. i paid 3.95 for 10 38/357 shotshells made by cci-speer. they work i used them for varmets in my garden out in the country. alternated shot then regular in a 38.

"Snake shot" been around for many years (50+), that I know of personally.
Ever heard of "rock salt" being placed into a shot gun shell (after pellets removed)? Farmers packed shells with rock salt to shoot people stealing their produce (non-lethal). It's said to burn like hell under the skin and is plucked out with tweezers, so I'm told... (rubbin' salt in the wound)

You can buy shotshells for pistols.I believe they were created specifically for shooting snakes. Loadout would be;1st round is shot,the rest your usual self-defense load. (for both 2 and 4-legged animals)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik