Copper prices

Page 2 of 3

It is a major portion of it. They may have lots of metal in the ground, but they can get if faster and refined from over here. The more you look into it, the more you will find out just how fast China is expanding.
Aside from all of that, it seems as though all the commodities take turns gouging the consumer. Steel skyrocketed a couple of years ago, then oil, natural gas jumped. Someone is making a fortune
Eigenvector wrote:

It's the oil companies colluding and scheming and carteling to screw the little guy.
No, wait.....

no its those oil companies running the price of gasoline down to help bush and the republicans at the election coming up.
remember bush is a big oil bretheren.......
Well my first thought was "what the hell is craig's list"? That's probably why you still have it. Try ebay at that price. I'll be gone in 15 minutes.
--
Steve Barker

"Toller" < snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:27:14 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but doesn't this part, the ratios, make sense?

No. Typically from what I've seen in the past, it is cheaper to buy larger amounts. I don't mean just a little cheaper, I mean why buy 100' when 250' is much cheaper on a per foot basis? That kind of cheap. Now it seems like on a per foot basis the price isn't changing at all. Nominally I would say that the makers of romex have gotten smart and realized that people were buying long lengths and cutting it for multiple jobs. So they equalized the prices and now its just as cheap to buy multiple 100' rolls.
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:35:16 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I see what you mean. All I saw in your numbers before was that it was a little cheaper to buy longer lengths.
You should also be careful in the grocery store. I've seen cases where big sizes cost more per amount than smaller sizes, and other places where the price savings was only 5 cents.

I remember something about some kids selling candy 2 for a nickel, 3 for a dime.

Mark Lloyd

supply and demand, those who supply it have figured out they can sell it for more and few will protest (after all, protesting is politically incorrect nowadays), kinda like energy costs and the ken lay types who live lives of extravagant luxury in clouds of suspicion
maybe increased transportation costs due to fat cat corporate big wigs wanting higher salaries and more retirement
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:48:44 GMT, "nowforsale"

Perhaps now that the new house market is cooling people may start protesting with their wallet and reducing demand. Copper plumbing is rapidly becoming obsolete in most places and I wouldn't be surprised if aluminum wire made a comeback. It is very common in sizes above #8 anyway. Alcan is already trying to rehibilitate the reputation for smaller sizes in electrical seminars. The new style MC cable uses an aluminum grounding conductor. That is a 33% saving in copper use. KIng Industries is pushing a splicing device that doesn't require special tools and training so you can pigtail copper for the receptacle and switch device connection.

Well as a way of ending this one and preventing it from turning into a platform for rants. I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought my Romex. I figure I might as well before the price goes up again. Lowes had 250' of 12/2 for $79 so I went for it.

That's already a lot cheaper than it was just a few months ago. It was over $100 in June.
--
Regards,

Yeah, I saw the opening and went for it. The next investment will be 14/3 for the dryer and 14/3 for the range - all of which are probably way out of code.

Eigenvector spake thus:

Aren't those typos--didn't you mean to type "12/3"? For a range and a dryer????
--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

10/3?

Mark Lloyd

Please tell me those are typos, and you really meant to type 10/3 or 8/3.
Wiring an electric range or dryer with 14ga wire is insane.
--
Regards,

Yes it was a typo. Sorry didn't mean to worry everyone

Not just out of code, but out of common sense. I'd think 10/3 is the minimum, but more likely 8/3 Be sure to check your smoke detectors and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

Maybe he was planning on using the run of 14 ga. as a heating element ... you know, redneck baseboard heat ...
--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

We need a federal investigation into the skyrocketing prices of copper. I'm sure the increase is a conspiracy by Big Copper<tm> to make even more profit.
The fine folks in Congress can sort it out, though, thank goodness.
--
<sigh>
JR