Copper prices

Oh it will. Every commodity does once the supply/demand evens out and it won't take 40-50 years to happen. There's over 100 years of supply available to be mined, it's just a matter of waiting for the mining companies to get at it. As more supply enters the market, prices will drop. Part of what we're seeing is also a function of market investment driving prices up too. Considering most commodities were at their lowest price in decades (inflation adjusted), it may take a bit longer to come down but it will, and I should definitely be around to see it. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I heard that in the 70s

Reply to
gfretwell

no its those oil companies running the price of gasoline down to help bush and the republicans at the election coming up.

remember bush is a big oil bretheren.......

Reply to
hallerb

supply and demand, those who supply it have figured out they can sell it for more and few will protest (after all, protesting is politically incorrect nowadays), kinda like energy costs and the ken lay types who live lives of extravagant luxury in clouds of suspicion

maybe increased transportation costs due to fat cat corporate big wigs wanting higher salaries and more retirement

Reply to
nowforsale

Perhaps now that the new house market is cooling people may start protesting with their wallet and reducing demand. Copper plumbing is rapidly becoming obsolete in most places and I wouldn't be surprised if aluminum wire made a comeback. It is very common in sizes above #8 anyway. Alcan is already trying to rehibilitate the reputation for smaller sizes in electrical seminars. The new style MC cable uses an aluminum grounding conductor. That is a

33% saving in copper use. KIng Industries is pushing a splicing device that doesn't require special tools and training so you can pigtail copper for the receptacle and switch device connection.
Reply to
gfretwell

Well my first thought was "what the hell is craig's list"? That's probably why you still have it. Try ebay at that price. I'll be gone in 15 minutes.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

And you never know when they're going to invent cheap synthetic copper.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I see what you mean. All I saw in your numbers before was that it was a little cheaper to buy longer lengths.

You should also be careful in the grocery store. I've seen cases where big sizes cost more per amount than smaller sizes, and other places where the price savings was only 5 cents.

Reply to
mm

That's already been done. Check out pennies since 1982 -- aluminum core!

Reply to
Stubby

Well as a way of ending this one and preventing it from turning into a platform for rants. I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought my Romex. I figure I might as well before the price goes up again. Lowes had 250' of

12/2 for $79 so I went for it.
Reply to
Eigenvector

I remember something about some kids selling candy 2 for a nickel, 3 for a dime.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's already a lot cheaper than it was just a few months ago. It was over $100 in June.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, I saw the opening and went for it. The next investment will be 14/3 for the dryer and 14/3 for the range - all of which are probably way out of code.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Eigenvector spake thus:

Aren't those typos--didn't you mean to type "12/3"? For a range and a dryer????

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

10/3?
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Please tell me those are typos, and you really meant to type 10/3 or 8/3.

Wiring an electric range or dryer with 14ga wire is insane.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not just out of code, but out of common sense. I'd think 10/3 is the minimum, but more likely 8/3 Be sure to check your smoke detectors and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes it was a typo. Sorry didn't mean to worry everyone

Reply to
Eigenvector

Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

Maybe he was planning on using the run of 14 ga. as a heating element ... you know, redneck baseboard heat ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

We need a federal investigation into the skyrocketing prices of copper. I'm sure the increase is a conspiracy by Big Copper to make even more profit.

The fine folks in Congress can sort it out, though, thank goodness.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs