Copper or?

Putting in fridge ice maker line. Only big thing I see is not use plastic. Would you use braided line or copper? Same with a dishwasher line.
Thanks

FWIW, I've had a couple of copper line failures and zero plastic line problems over the years. Might have to do with more moderate water pressures in our area. Next humidifier installation gets all plastic in a couple of months. Careless workmanship is often the culprit in small water line failures also, from what I've seen. Follow directions and use finesse and most anything will work as intended.
Joe

It is hard to beat the stainless braid over hose.
Gomba wrote:

The professional would probably use copper: it's cheaper.
'Course he might do several hundred a year.
If you've done, oh, 100 or so, go with the copper (assuming you have the tools). Otherwise use the stainless braided product.

Lucky I was home near the leak on the plastic line. I don't see how those fittings could possibly work right. Copper works pretty good.
Greg
On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:

Im constantly amazed at the impudence of some technicians who use plastic and the homeowners who tolerate their work and dont sue the pants off of them when their hardwood flooring, carpet and gypsum walls are water damaged from a leaking ice maker line. I have seen the compression connectors on the ends leak but I have never seen a copper ice maker line leak. I use copper but I flare the ends and use flare unions or flare connectors and I leave lots of coil behind the refrigerator so that the refrigerator can be moved without compromising the connections. Plastic lines may be ok in countries where the water pressure is 20 PSI but not in the US where it is 50 PSI or more. As for the stainless steel braided lines, those are basically plastic or rubber with a steel braid around them. It would take over fifty years for a copper line to wear out but a plastic line will erode or dry out and crack in much less time.
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:45:41 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

and the homeowners who tolerate their work and don’t sue the pants off of them when their hardwood flooring, carpet and gypsum walls are water damaged from a leaking ice maker line. I have seen the compression connectors on the ends leak but I have neverseen a copper ice maker line leak. I use copper but I flare the ends and use flare unions or flare connectors and I leave lots of coil behind the refrigerator so that the refrigerator can be moved without compromising the connections. Plastic lines may be ok in countries where the water pressure is 20 PSI but not in the US where it is 50 PSI or more. As for the stainless steel braided lines, those are basically plastic or rubber with a steel braid around them. It would take over fifty years for a copper line to wear out but a plastic line will erode or dry out and crack in much less time.
The problem with copper is flexing it every time you pull the fridge out to clean under and behind it. I know that may result in the question "people do that"? Yes they do. The other problem is that if you don't get it folded back in there right, it will rattle.

the homeowners who tolerate their work and dont sue the pants off of them when their hardwood flooring, carpet and gypsum walls are water damaged from a leaking ice maker line. I have seen the compression connectors on the ends leak but I have never seen a copper ice maker line leak. I use copper but I flare the ends and use flare unions or flare connectors and I leave lots of coil behind the refrigerator so that the refrigerator can be moved without compromising the connections. Plastic lines may be ok in countries where the water pressure is 20 PSI but not in the US where it is 50 PSI or more. As for the stainless steel braided lines, those are basically plastic or rubber with a steel braid around them. It would take over fifty years for a copper line to wear out but a plastic line will erode or dry out and crack in much less time.

I've got plastic on my own (76psi) and on three of our rentals (65psi). No problems with any of them. That's what those line kits are designed for. duh.
--
Steve Barker
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When you have your refrigerator line for over 50 years, please post back. I'm sure my ancestors will leave a note on my grave.
Gomba wrote the following on 7/30/2012 6:34 PM (ET):

Where did you see 'not use plastic'?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:

I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who havent.
On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:34:23 PM UTC-7, Gomba wrote:

I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who havent.I hope that you deem the courtesy of apologizing to me when one of those starts to leak soon; unlike other people who havent.

I've had a plastic line on my fridge for 25 years with no problem.