Computers on the way out

They DO make cell phone jammers. Not for sale in the US, but available overseas, and guess what? They ship to the US! Don't like some jerk talking on his cell at a quiet place, or during church? Imagine, going a whole dinner, or church service, or your progeny's piano recital without a single cell call.
ZAP!
I want one.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately:
"Anyone caught manufacturing, selling, owning, or using a jammer in the U.S. is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison for each offense."
Have a good attorney on retainer.
nb
On 6/29/2011 8:19 AM, notbob wrote:

That's really funny because the people who sell the cellphone jammers have revealed the fact that their biggest customers are US government agencies Federal, state and local. I would get a small one to switch on and off whenever some rude asshole makes inappropriate use of their cellphone because the importance of emergency calls concerns me. I would hate to be responsible for interfering with an emergency call to a doctor or someone who's job is to protect people. Those type folks will excuse themselves and go to a quiet area to carry on a conversation. I can usually tell who the rude, mindless, selfish jerks are so I would enjoy a small jammer to mess with them by making their calls drop off.
TDD

OR. OR OR they could just pick up a DAMN corded phone and use it. We did just fine without cell phones.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/29/2011 11:12 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

The house phone is usually out in the lobby but I know that in the more exclusive restaurants, the waiter would bring a phone to a patron. I've never seen a corded phone brought to someone in a theater or movie. The people with class know how to act with a cellphone and will go to the lobby to use their cellphone.
TDD

no one in a theater NEEDs outgoing OR incoming phone calls.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

so, doctors being paged out of their kids' 3rd grade play never occurs.
On 6/29/2011 3:02 PM, chaniarts wrote:

you put the phone on vibrate and if you see a CID that you recognize as important you quietly make your way out to the lobby and call back.

Shouldn't occur. That is what partners covering call is for. There was a place that used to take the pagers from their patrons, put it in a rack with their seat number. If it went off, they came and got them. I don't know of anyone that is so important they NEED to be 24 touch.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

because you don't know of anyone, of course, means it never happens.
i'm on call 24/7 providing customer support for a computer company. i AM the covering call. i can either sit at home next to my phone, or i can do normal things like go out to to the corner restaurant for dinner or a local movie as long as i don't mind being paged out to go home at a moments notice. i prefer to have at least a modicum of a life.

And yet you're educated beyond your capacity and the vibrate feature eludes you?
Steve
On 6/29/2011 6:41 PM, Steve B wrote:

George wrote:

of course you did. i didn't indicate the loudness of my phone in my post, and he just ASSUMED. it's in my pocket and on vibrate 100% of the time so wouldn't bother anyone anyway.
his jammer would, of course, do the equivalent of turning off my phone without my knowledge. considering that my customers are running E911 services, if i can't help them, his jammer would cause police/fire/ambulance departments not be able to dispatch for calls, or at least being delayed when they have to fall back to paper/pencil dispatch systems.
all without his knowledge.
how many deaths could be attributed to his jammer?
sometimes actions could have unaccounted and unknowable consequences.

Of course, there would be NO land lines for people to call 911 for an emergency in church or in a restaurant, right? Cell phones would be the only form of communication. We're talking about zapping a boob who's being a boob. We're talking about momentarily interrupting service. We're not talking about a long term blockage. Apparently you don't know how these things work. Just as long as you hold the button is as long as they work. It's not as if one sets it to block for hours.
Do the math, genius.
And heaven forbid dispatch has to do a little work, and not rely on a GPS signal from a cell phone which may be erroneous. What if a witness from across the river calls it in? Or a witness in a high rise? Seems to me that they would like to have the location of the ACTUAL emergency, and not the witnesses.
HTH, but I doubt it.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

try reading for comprehension. the E911 site's computers go down. EMS calls my company for service. i'm sitting 1500 miles away and don't get the call because i happen to be sitting in the same restaurant that you're using your jammer in. the E911 site computer stays down until I service it. the people in the E911 area don't get a LEO dispatched for 10 minutes rather than the 30 seconds it would normally take.
it doesn't really matter if anyone at the restaurant we're in can reach 911 in their local area. they're not involved. it's the (many) thousands of people in the remote area that are involved. their emergency services computer isn't up, and won't get up until i get notified whereever I am, not where the E911 computer is.

heart attack or rape in progress victims are rarely called in to EMS from far away. usually it's the next table or a passerby.

self rationalizations to avoid having to think about the far reaching consequences of your own illegal actions.

this call? What happens if you, yourself, are incapacitated. My contention was that for most people (there may be a few exceptions and you may even be one of those), there is no need for them to bother me. They can just do things when someone else is on first call or make arrangements to cover for them for awhile.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

how would i know that someone has to cover for me? as far as i can tell, i'm available. someone, without my knowledge, prevented that.
and yes, i am first on call off hours for all customers worldwide for my company, and am the only person at any one time doing that.

still on my point about how most of the time jamming would be unnecessary if people just did the things like eat out and go to concerts, etc., when the were NOT on call so they could safely turn off their cells and pagers. I'll try to keep up (grin).

require phones be turned off.

Whether anybody else can take the call is beside the point. When you're on call you're on call. It's not nice to rely on the backup if you're lucky enough to have a rotating call list. Many IT systems are complex to the point where getting them restarted is a chore and can be easily screwed up. I supported one system for nearly 2 years as the primary call, and the only one who could handle problems expeditiously. The others on the list were practically useless. I was on call even while on vacation. And another system for less time on much the same basis, but even more extreme. Management decides. My input was to agitate for more staff and training, quit, or squeeze for more salary. I did the latter, and was satisfied with the outcome. The only time I got really pissed was when the phone rang, the DVD was loaded, and the pizza delivery man showed up all at the same time. But I had made my own bed. Anyway, a vibrating phone or pager gets rid of the "disturb" problem, so it's only an issue with rude people. If they don't have a phone, they'll just cough and fart a lot.
--Vic
On 6/29/2011 4:58 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Its a different world today. All sorts of businesses operate with much less staff and also very flat management structure.