Combining Oil and Latex?

I have some very dark interior doors that I am planning on coating with Kilz and then painting with latex (much lighter white color). Someone recommended using oil Kilz prior to my latex paint. QUESTION: Is it ok to combine these two? I always thought oil went with oil and latex with latex--is this incorrect?

Thanks!

--Don--

Reply to
Don H.

SkyBlue

You should be fine with putting latex over oil (not the other way around).

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

Thanks for the help! I don't know what is currently on the doors. All I know is that they are dark. They may be that old style dark stain (over the hollow wooden door) since I don't really see any paint coming off. If this is the case, would you recommend oil or latex Kilz? I would then follow this up with latex paint.

Thanks!

--Don--

Reply to
Don H.

Reply to
SkyBlue

Thanks, Sky!

--Don--

Reply to
Don H.

Consider using oil-based paint for the doors. Latex is great for walls, ceilings, and outdoors, but I think oil-based works a little better for things like doors, windows and cabinets. It dries to a harder finish, which stands up better to wear from handling. Also, sometimes latex paint will have problems where the door contacts the jams and the paint adheres slightly.

Reply to
Heathcliff Bambino