Combining Oil and Latex?

I have some very dark interior doors that I am planning on coating with Kilz and then painting with latex (much lighter white color). Someone recommended using oil Kilz prior to my latex paint. QUESTION: Is it ok to combine these two? I always thought oil went with oil and latex with latex--is this incorrect?
Thanks!
--Don--
As a rule of thumb, paint latex over latex and oil over oil . Check the specs on the finish paint and go with their recommendation.. If the doors are currently painted with oil base paint, and you for some unimaginable reason want to change that to latex, priming with oil base is a good idea. It will adhere to the original oil better than your latex will, and the latex will adhere to the oil base primer better than it will to an old oil base gloss finish. But for your best result, if the door is now oil, stay with oil. Oil is harder to apply, messy to clean up, but easier to maintain and you won't have to do it again for a lot longer time. However, if your doors are latex now, and you want a latex finish, I do not know why there would be a recommendation to use an oil base primer. Read your labels and trust them more than opinions. .
"Don H." wrote:

Thanks for the help! I don't know what is currently on the doors. All I know is that they are dark. They may be that old style dark stain (over the hollow wooden door) since I don't really see any paint coming off. If this is the case, would you recommend oil or latex Kilz? I would then follow this up with latex paint.
Thanks!
--Don--

specs on

currently
change
oil
your
apply,
again for

latex
base
Sounds like a standard stained door, probably with poly finish. If the surface is not smooth, and it is often not, your new finish will be equally rough. You may want to sand them down first.
When using Kilz, go here and get it from the experts who count, the mfg: http://www.masterchem.com
"Don H." wrote:

Thanks, Sky!
--Don--

surface
You

Kilz
You should be fine with putting latex over oil (not the other way around).

Consider using oil-based paint for the doors. Latex is great for walls, ceilings, and outdoors, but I think oil-based works a little better for things like doors, windows and cabinets. It dries to a harder finish, which stands up better to wear from handling. Also, sometimes latex paint will have problems where the door contacts the jams and the paint adheres slightly.