Clothes dryer taking too long

We have a Frigadaire clothes dryer that is about 7 years old. On the "normal" setting it used to dry the clothes in 50 minutes. Then we had to start adding 15 minutes to get them dry. Now an additional 30 minutes isn't enough. Is there something we can do to fix it, other than call a repairman?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Without any more detail, my first thought is lint buildup in the exhaust, and/or kinked exhaust hose?

Last time I fabbed up a dryer vent I used 4" ducting, rigid elbows with a section of "flex duct" (not dryer duct) in between so that it wouldn't collapse although it still gathers a little lint - no dryer's lint filter is 100% efficient. If nothing else lint likes to collect in the little louvers of the vent to the outside.

If that doesn't work, post back, and let us know if gas/electric, and anything else you can think that might be pertinent?

nate

Reply to
N8N

The first answer is always lint buildup in either the internal ducts of the dryer or the vent hose. Go outside and see how strong/hot the exhaust is at the vent.

First, obviously, make sure the vent is opening properly. I've removed hand fulls of lint from right inside the vent opening.

Next, disconnect the vent hose at both ends and look for obstructions.

Finally, check the internal vents for lint buildup. That's a little more work, but doable if you are at all handy..

You didn't say whether it was gas or electric, so any more speculation wouldn't be worth the time it would take to type it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Jan Philips wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Clean the lint trap.

Reply to
Earl

Assuming this is electric, the first thing I check is the heating element.

Hold the safety switch and start the dryer with the door open. You should see 2 element coils in the back glowing. If you only see 1, or they don't glow brightly, the element is bad. I think they tend to run about $100.

You should consider posting/searching the model number, which is probably inside the door. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

We always do that.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Do the clothes get hot? No, check the element, yes, check the air flow.

Reply to
LSMFT

There is a triangular-shaped heating element, which is working.

Frigidare model GLEQ2152ESO :

That shows the triangular heating element, which is working. I need to check the exhaust duct.

Reply to
Jan Philips

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Jan Philips typed: :: We have a Frigadaire clothes dryer that is about 7 years :: old. On the "normal" setting it used to dry the clothes :: in 50 minutes. Then we had to start adding 15 minutes to :: get them dry. Now an additional 30 minutes isn't enough. :: Is there something we can do to fix it, other than call a :: repairman? -- :: Replace you know what by j to email

Based on your question and apparent complete lack of knowledge on the subject, I'd say call a repairman if you check the lint filter, pipe to exit from the buildint, and varmint protection at the same point. That's not meant as an insult; just an observation. Check the exhaust from the machine to exit point first, then if nothing plugged, call for repair. It could be one of a few things but it sure sounds like a plugged output. HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I had a similar problem with a gas dryer - irrelevant to you - and it was advised here to replace several parts. It happened to involve fairly comprehensive disassembly of the machine, which I was able to do with videos and instructions for my particular model found on the web.

The thing that is important in your circumstance: others have mentioned the buildup of lint. When I had the machine apart, the amount of lint throughout the machine was remarkable. Much was inside, or just past, the compartment into which the user-cleanable lint screen slides. But there was lint build-up everywhere. Between the vacuum cleaner, brushes, and leaf blower I got the machine pretty clean.

If you could at least clean out the cavity into which the lint screen goes, either using someone with small hands, a vacuum cleaner's narrow nozzle attachment, or by blasting it with a compressor or leaf blower, one would expect at least a substantial improvement in your drying time.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Several manufacturers call for rigid metal duct, instead of the coiled flexible stuff. They are Whirlpool, Amana, General Electric, Frigidaire, Kitchenaid, and Maytag. It's amazing how many new installations have tried to sneak the coiled stuff by in the wall. Damned difficult to clean out, quick to build up lint, and so restrictive to flow. It's the old "this is the way we've always done it" routine.

Reply to
Michael B

Jan Philips wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You should have said so in your original message.

Reply to
Earl

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My guess:

The OP didn't mention that because (s)he may not have made the connection that a blocked lint trap could extend the dry time.

I'll bet a lot of people clean the lint trap because the instructions say too but don't really understand why they are doing it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Check to see if you have a separate fuse for the dryer. Even tho mine is connected to a circuit breaker, it has it's own fuse near the dryer as well.

Reply to
frag

Huh?

What would a fuse possibly have to do with extended drying times?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, the clothes eventually get warm (and dry) - takes about 90 minutes instead of 50. The vent is clear as far as I have looked, but I haven't checked it all yet. I have an air compressor to blow through it.

One thing I forgot to mention, on the "normal" setting it is supposed to have a humidity sensor that detects when the clothes are dry. If that is working, seems like it should go until they are dry, but I have to add a lot of additional time.

Reply to
Jan Philips

The duct from the wall to the dryer is the flexible one. I don't know what is inside the walls.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Frigidaire wants you to have solid duct from the machine. Remove the tubing, clean it out, see if there's a difference. The lint filter doesn't catch it all.

Reply to
Michael B

Based on the problem you found, your dryer likely had a very long vent run with numerous elbows, right? Not on an outside wall with short direct flow, correct?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You will want to blow out the dryer in the area of the lint trap with the dryer running using your air compressor, you won't get all the lint out of the machine but you will get some...

Your vent line is probably filled with lint as well... Or your critter guard has become compromised and you might have some little mice or birdie creatures living inside your vent pipe...

My bet is on a combination of the dryer itself being full of lint and the vent pipe/hose being too obstructed for the proper amount of airflow to dry the clothes in the designed and intended time interval...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan