Cleaning Naugahyde Vinyl on Jacket

My brother stopped by with his old varsity jacket yesterday asking my help and I'm afraid I now need yours.

The jacket itself is in excellent condition except for the old naugahyde sleeves. They have grown sticky with the passage of time. I'm thinking it's the oil used to make the naugahyde but, I admit it, I could be wrong. Soap and water isn't taking this off.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Rose

(to email me privately please send to " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com". " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" is no longer a working account.)

Reply to
Rose

The "oil" is a component of the plasticizers used in flexible vinyl compounds. Once these have begun to separate and migrate, the material is past redemption. Your best recourse at this time is to find a nice place to display the jacket and enjoy looking at it. You might try cleaning with some of the automotive vinyl conditioning compounds. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst