Cleaning glass pot lid (the kind with metal edge)

I picked up a used glass pot lid, the kind with a metal band around the edge. The glass has cooked-on grease on both sides of the glass and I can't get this slightly-sticky-in-places residue off. What's a good way to get the glass on both sides clean and free of that cooked-on grease/fat?
[To reply directly to me, drop one ' i ' from address.]
Stan writes:

Spray oven cleaner or old fashioned lye. Unless the metal is aluminum, then use a non-lye oven cleaner, such as one using ethanolamine.

Soak in ammonia.
Stan wrote:

Hello Stan:
The cooked-on 'varnish' (that is more or less what it is) is awfully hard to dissolve off. As others mentioned, oven cleaner may work. I've had some luck cleaning cruddy glass---such as the window of a toaster oven---- with (a) pumice-containing orange hand cleaner and a sponge, vigorous rubbing; or (b) steel wool soap pads. Both are fairly aggressive so I don't use them often, but there seems to be little or no scratching from occasional use.
Regards -- Terry
On 6 Oct 2006 04:42:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here's what worked for me twice: Use some gel-type paint remover like Kleen-Strip on it. I burned some caramel in a saucepan some time ago and nothing was working on it. I covered the bottom of the pot with the remover and stirred, picked and scraped at it with a popsicle stick once a day for a week and this removed the charred mess. My wife recently burned some corn in the pot (same pot, too!) last week and again, this method worked to perfection. I got the idea from a product that Sunbeam marketed in their repair shops called Sunbeam Frying Pan Cleaner. I bought some and discovered it was actually paint remover - one of the ingredients is methylene chloride. I wouldn't try this stuff on aluminum though, since it tends to turn it black.
Stan,
Try Bon Ami. It won't scratch the glass and will scrape off the crud.
Dave M.
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:33:54 +0000, David Martel wrote:

Thanks for all the tips. I used Dave M's method--> the Bon Ami. It worked great: no fumes, no nasty chemicals, no scratches on the glass, and this cleaning task only took ~ 2 minutes.
Stan

razor blade

I just had a similar experience cleaning a glass pie plate. Use my stainless steel scrubby and it worked a treat. They last practically forever as well.
I've also found that the green scrubbies (scotch-bright) loose their tooth with time... I'm always amazed at the comparison when i switch to a new one.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip
replying to jtees4, Fern wrote:

I find the same problem you can not get under the metal rim to clean but yet there is enough room for food and liquid to get under there, very unsanitary. there is so many pots and pans that have that type of lid.
Soak it in bleach to restore cleanliness. Then rinse well.
Dave M.

Try 50% white vinigar & 50% cream of tarter, and scrub with a green pad.
-zero
Stan wrote:

Soak in water with a capful of fabric softener.
I clean almost everything with fabric softener.
Search google for uses for fabric softener and you'll get great ideas.
Mrs. Clean

Make a hot solution of gel-auto dishwasher detergent and water and find a glass or plastic tub big enough for your lid,and soak the lid in the solution for a couple of hours. If you can keep it hot or warm the whole time,that's better.
If the metal band is stainless steel and not aluminum,just use Easy-OFF oven cleaner,as directed on the label.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You're getting an awful lot of "try this" responses! COuld probably buy a couple of complete sets for the price of the various things suggested if you don't have them hanging around.
What the hell. Here's a couple of more.     Greased Lightning with a plastic scour pad.     Carburator cleaner.

Bury it in the yard for a month. That will de-grease almost anything.
If it will fit in a crock pot with a bit of laundry detergent then that will work fine. Stan wrote:

Cover the pot lid with a baking soda paste. The next day wash it. If the gunk is still there, take it outside and spray on some oven cleaner, wait 10 minutes, rinse, repeat if needed. Use caution.
replying to Stan, Fern wrote:

No sure but vinegar is real good for cleaning, you might try soaking it in plain vinegar.
Replying to a 2006 post. Paint remover still is a great solvent when everything e else has failed.