Cleaning Chimney Stone?

Our stone chimney has some soot stains above the fireplace opening. Soapy water and harsher cleaning chemicals aren't really doing the job to clean it. Any suggestions for getting it clean?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There are specialty chemicals for this. Someone here probably has a specific brand to suggest, but barring that, I would find a specialty masonry supply store and see what they stock. I know my local store has something, I just don't remember the name.
Also, you might try a good LARGE paint store. They often will have some sort of cleaner for this. Come to think of it, I wonder if TSP would work, probably not....
On 19 Sep 2006 07:09:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

imho:
Years ago, I came accross a product that other sweeps said worked well. It was a ruberized sponge. I was told soap and water moves the soot, but can move it deeper into the pores of the stone and brick. So a dry method of cleaning was best, since as it grabs the dirt, it rolls off the sponge (like a big eraser) and falls to the ground.
Check with one of the big package stores, they might carry it.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Trisodium phosphate. TSP, but be careful, many packages that say TSP do not have the old straight trisodium phosphate product. It is not harmful or environmentally unsafe. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net