Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem

Hello all,
As an intermediate DIY'r, I am surprised to be having trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1'' stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the
cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.
Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a 1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Is the blade on backwards?
I'm pretty sure that it is not. The arrows on the blade are going the same direction as the arrow on the saw, thus the teeth are pointed upwards at the front of the saw (if that makes any sense). Anything else that could cause this? Otherwise, its back to the home depot and pray they return it.
Click Fraud wrote:

They should take it back if it was a recent purchase. Take a piece of burnt wood along. Check to see if the blade [left to right or right to left] is square to the foot and does not wobble excessively.
Steve

jmyszka wrote:

front and which is the back of the saw. If you think you are driving a car and not feeding wood into a machine, and lots maybe most woodworkers do, then you stand and feed wood in and the side that the cut wood emerges at is the front.
However, if you think you are feeding wood into a machine, the side nearest you is the front of the machine (saw).
To answer you question, though, when you feed the wood in, the contact with the blade should have saw teeth going down into the saw. Or another way to look at is the gullets are moving toward you.
jmyszka wrote:

Oops. I didn't see the "Skill saw." Sorry, forget what I said.
Possible causes are a poor blade, saw blade not parallel to the tracking edge of the saw, end play of the bearings.
On 31 Jul 2006 14:32:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Smoking in saws is bad. See if you can get it to cut out smoking, or at least switch to filters.

OK, so get a sawblade with a nicotine patch. Seriously. Replace the blade.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
David Martel wrote:

You either have the blade on backwards, or a very dull blade. Hit any nails recently?
Bob

I got a small electric chain saw at a yard sale, and it would barely cut. I was trying to figure out how to sharpen it, when I gradually realized the chain was on backwards.
In a circular saw the points and openings of the teeth should point up in front. Because the blade turns clockwise when viewed from the left.

Noticing that you have already replied that the blade appears to be on correctly I must ask if you are using the blade that came with the saw?
The usually aren't worth the time it takes to install them. Buy a carbide blade of the proper size and see how that cuts.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Buy a new sawblade, and put the new sawblade on.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Home Depot was glad to take their saw back, and I picked up a dewalt jigsaw that finished the job easily.
jm