My wife asks: "Is there any protection to be gained by placing a thick
rubber mat in front of the circuit panel where someone working on the panel
would normally stand?" It would seem it would have to help a little.
I suspect my turning my head upside inside the box and pushing wires aside
to read the label information has got her worried again. (-:
Might have something to do with my neighbor who was going to move the dryer
for his wife for her birthday and ended up breaking the main gas line. Said
the emergency gas tech that responded "it's a miracle you didn't blow
yourselves up." Fortunately the wife had the presence of mind to have
dialed "9 + 1" as he turned the wrench. It only took a second to dial the
last "1" and get emergency services. He had no idea where the shutoffs were
located, either. He figured not much gas would leak out by the time he
fitted the new flexible pipe. <jeez> The gas guys don't screw around,
either. They immediately shut off the gas at the meter right after they
rolled up and saw the panicked homeowners standing outside.
Most shoes are pretty good insulators at 120V which is the most you
would get to ground (in the US) anyway. Since the panel enclosure is
grounded and there are terminals of both phases (polarity technically)
in the panel, you have a much better chance of getting across 120V or
even 240V in the panel itself. This is of course where the old "one
hand" idea came from, but as we all know in today's overstuffed panels
that's simply not viable.
The two most important safety things you can do are to make sure you
have good footing i.e. you aren't climbing on junk to get to the panel,
and that you have good lighting so you can clearly see inside the panel
to avoid contact with exposed terminals and bus bars.
On Monday, March 3, 2014 9:28:39 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:
I like those panels that they use in Canada that you see on
the Holmes TV shows. They use a separate cover for the area at
and above the main breaker. Without removing that, nothing below
it that you could come in contact with is energized with the main
open. Even with a regular panel, with the main off, it's pretty
hard to contact the incoming service wires as you're usually not
doing anything near that and if you are, well you just need to know
what you;re doing and be careful. Personally, I'm most worried
when I'm taking off the panel cover on one where you haven't been
before. You don't know what someone may have done inside there, so I'm
always careful to take the panel straight off, not let it tip back
inside. My worst fear is the panel comes off, a corner dips back
inside, touches something, and there you are, with the steel panel
in both hands, standing on a concrete floor.
I wonder how many electrocutions occur at the circuit panel? Wiki says:
<<There were 550 electrocutions in the US in 1993, which translates to 2.1
deaths per million inhabitants. At that time, the incidence of
electrocutions was decreasing. Electrocutions in the workplace make up
the majority of these fatalities. From 1980-1992, an average of 411 workers
were killed each year by electrocution. >>
Amen. I even have two clamp lamps pulling from different circuits aimed at
the panel to increase the chances that they'll always be sufficient light.
And two LED flashlights with magnets. And a lighted magnifying glass (it's
been hell trying to read the label!). And even a little set of shelves next
to the box that hold tools, meters, spare breakers, etc. Fortunately my
panel is just at eye level and fairly easy to access.
At least it would make for more comfortable standing when working on the
panel. The issue seems to be the choice of mats - some types of material
are better insulators than others. The search continues.
Nah. It would probably just make it more comfortable to stand on the bare
concrete. I've had great respect for the inside of circuit panels ever
since I saw an electrician melt the tip off a screwdriver in the mid-1960's
when we had a new house built. Molten metal sputtered onto the inside of
the box. Very impressive.
There are actually a number of sputtering methods used to produce exotic
metals but I don't think they use a circuit panel, a screwdrive and a
careless electrician to do it. (-:
It was a good reminder that even gloved up with long sleeves, goggles are
probably a good thing to wear, too. Pop a blob of melted steel in your eye
and it's probably lights out forever in that eye.
You were indeed lucky.
When young i 'inherited' many electrical tools from my father, such as
wire strippers and pliers. The reason he gave them to me was that they
were damaged by discharges. So, I had to file off some section of 'welded'
metal blobs to make them work. Still have a few of them. He got them from
people on his job site who either didn't check, or didn't put a red flag
and tape on the breakers, or in one case 'just turned on for a second' ?!
because someone needed electricity for just that simple little time. That
someone got fired. And, everyone breathed a sigh of relief.
I had a helper one time. I was reaching into a
roof HVAC unit to check for motor belt tension.
I heard a voice behind me say "Hey, I'm going to
turn it on to see how it works". As you can
expect, I backed away from the equipment, rapidly.
Foolishly, I did let him work with me, cleaning
carpets on another job He sprinkled water on the
shampooer (ancient equipment, two wire plug).
Told him not to, he did a second time. I fired
I still have the screwdriver an electrician partially melted futzing around
inside a circuit panel. I kept it to remind me of the power of electricity.
Reminds me of the local skeet range that has a board that contains all the
shotgun barrel ends (over 20) that exploded, usually after being fired after
the shooter let the barrel get plugged by mud. Bulged barrels, torn
barrels, shredded barrels and one that looked like an eggbeater because it
shredded in 1/4" ribbons.
I was on the maintenance end of a project where others climbed up a
ladder next to 100's of telephone poles. They got talked into buying an
fiberglass extension ladder for the project, much heavier than aluminum
would have been.
And the ladder actually never went as high as the wires, only high
enough that someone standing on the ladder could reach the lowest wire.
But we still used it.
Me too. The connecting a surge protector is on the list, especially if
it gets opened for any other reason.
Isn't your heart in the middle of your chest? That's supposed to be the
weak link when it comes to electricity.
Well, I've gotten 110 AC several times (and one time I figured out that
my train transformer was broken, becuase I'd opened it up and had been
handling it for an hour and never got a shock, even though I had
forgotten to unplug it. The plug was broken from the wire.)
And I once got 2000 volts DC, from a television. I didn't hold on and
it knocked me across the room and dislocated a shoulder than hadn't been
out for 15 years. I might have been on my haunches instead of my knees.
That was a violation of Philo's or Robert's rules. I was being careful
and don't even know what I touched.
The beauty of a colour TV (CRT) is you didn't HAVE to touch
anything. With 6000volts you just had to get CLOSE. 6000 was on B&W
sets - big colour sets can be as high as 25000+
I had a REAL old TV transformer straighten me out real quick - and at
6"I was taller than the basement ceiling height. My hard head drove a
nail (head) up through the linoleum flooring , hitting it on the sharp
end from below.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.