Chinese drywall poses potential risks

Page 1 of 3
PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) At the height of the U.S. housing boom, when building materials were in short supply, American construction companies used millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it was abundant and cheap.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jpih0xS6cypWMaQgq3Idjhmyik0AD97GBF100
Molly Brown wrote:

and poison.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Have you read about the hundreds, actualy probably thousands, of houses with this serious issue.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:04:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Cite Florida and other gulf coast states, post five year hurricanes!
btw, Cubans refer to Chinese products as "chinna" (?) on translation).
An inferior product, according to Cubans.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:04:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Yes I knew about the problem with the Chinese drywall. It was all over the news months ago. My point is all she ever does is bitch about items from China.

In Europe about 100,000 office chairs were recalled , these Chinese chairs gave people rashes. Suposidly from excessive anti mold agents the Chinese put in during the rainy season, im sure those chairs are here
ransley wrote:

Last time I saw news report about the matter, one estimate was that 300,000 homes were involved. Other estimate 100,000. No certain figures. What actual harm is the stuff doing?

The many sulfer compounds from Fly ash unscrubbed, will only eventualy kill you in high concentrations. They turn new copper and silver black in a few months, ruin wiring in apliances making them fail in months. But first you get sick.

What is your problem? The post is perfectly on-topic here.

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:00:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I agree the post is on topic. My point is all she ever does is bitch about items from China.

So what, Poisoned dog food [I had it], Phonied protein levels in milk with the Poison Melamine. Milk powder that killed many kids and gave kidney issues to tens of thousands, poison tooth paste, Poison Glycerin, Lead for the kids toys, Cheap products that break whan you look at them, Piracy and counterfieting of everything. She has good reason to bitch about Chinese crooks, I hope she keeps it up. So whats the next Poison from China. Read an AP article out yesterday on drywall, People are broke, houses are poisoned, the contractors in ch 11, the gov wont kick China because China buys our debt. So who will fix this nightmare for 100,000+
Molly Brown wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jpih0xS6cypWMaQgq3Idjhmyik0AD97GBF100 Chinese drywall presents no problem if properly installed (2 coats oil-based KILZ or equivalent on all sides).

Did the drywall come with such a warning? If maybe it did, did anyone in the construction crew read it? Did they do anything because of it.
How often, if the owner isn't there to insist on it, will the side not seen be be painted at all, or the edges. How often does the owner know it's supposed to have TWO coats on all sides?
A lot of new houses get a light coat of spray paint on one side after the walls are in and before the non-wood trim.
And how many install sheet-rock in a basement or garage or a home they can't afford to complete and don't paint it for years.
Your sentence is like saying bald tires present no problem if they are retreaded.
Or, poison gas presents no problem if all present are wearing gas masks.

mm wrote:

If the builders don't install the drywall properly, how is that the drywall's fault? Nails don't come with instructions: "Pointy-end first."

I don't know. Reputation, skill, and experience of the builder maybe?

And how many wire this unfinished basement with zip-cord?

Exactly!
Exactly again! I think you've got it.

Nowhere is it recommeded to "seal" drywall against Vapor Poisoning.
ransley wrote:

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results, painting is recommended" either.
A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub-standard bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up.
I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing.
You've got to adapt to what you've got.
HeyBub wrote:
"A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub- standard bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up. I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing. You've got to adapt to what you've got."
How many screws does it take to screw on a sign? Depends on how many people you get to screw.

So you say paint Cedar and PT is proper. Needing to seal drywall on all exposed areas with oil is improper. It would also likely more than double instalation costs. Whats next, poisonous chemicals in carpets and furniture, actualy that just happened in Europe with Chinese office chairs giving rashes.
ransley wrote:

No, I didn't say that. I said I've never seen a bit of wood with that recommendation. Yet, for reasons seemingly unfathomable, many people do paint wood in spite of not being told to do so.

Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately, injections are available for most allergic rashes.