Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined
chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the
Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have
had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of
I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin
coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape
it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.
Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of
America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?
Since the residue is a small one I think you are OK specially since you
have cleaned regularly in the past. You would never expect there to be
no residue at all with a wood burning flue. Just keep cleaning it on a
Given the fact that you were looking down, that means you were on the roof.
If you had a brush and rods it would have been done in 15 minutes. You are
probably OK for a while, but why not invest $25 to $50 and do it yourself?
I will invest in the equipment. I was really inquiring because I plan
to fire her up today and probably will not get back up there for a
couple weeks. As a matter of fact, I'm firing her up right after this.
Not really on this question but what about those things they sell to
through in the fire. I can get them at the farm store down the road.
Are they not worth their money?
On 23 Nov 2006 06:28:43 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Strange enough, you might want to contact your insurance company.
Since like you they want to keep your home safe, they might have
guidlines based on your fireplace usage, and what you burn.
Give them a call.
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.