Chimney Creosote

Hi folks - I checked my chimney yesterday. It is an older, lined chimney. We burn wood on the weekends during the weekends here in the Northeast with a new fireplace insert. Probably a cord a year. I have had the chimney cleaned every year or so. They never get much out of it.
I looked down it yesterday with a flashlight. It had a very, very thin coating of creosote on the liner (less than paperthin). I could scrape it off with my fingertip). No blackages whatsoever.
Does this warrant cleaning? Pls dont give me the Chimny sweeps of America usual line. Does it REALLY need sweeping?
Thanks Happy T-Day
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Since the residue is a small one I think you are OK specially since you have cleaned regularly in the past. You would never expect there to be no residue at all with a wood burning flue. Just keep cleaning it on a regular basis.

Given the fact that you were looking down, that means you were on the roof. If you had a brush and rods it would have been done in 15 minutes. You are probably OK for a while, but why not invest $25 to $50 and do it yourself?
I will invest in the equipment. I was really inquiring because I plan to fire her up today and probably will not get back up there for a couple weeks. As a matter of fact, I'm firing her up right after this.
Thanks
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

it as it does to get up there and look. And cleaning the stuff that falls down into the insert is simple and fast.
The fire department around here advises cleaning your chimney at *least* once a year.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The amount of creo that comes out is an excellent indicator of the moisture content of your wood and your burning habits (hot vs/ smoldering). Clean it out every year.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

and stove operator)

If the flue is sound and the creosote layer is truly paper-thin throughout, try burning a good, hot fire from dry hardwood for a few hours.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
Not really on this question but what about those things they sell to through in the fire. I can get them at the farm store down the road.
Are they not worth their money?
Thanks, Fred
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Fred Wilson wrote:

Nope. Waste of money. Good seasoned wood, good burning habits and an annual cleaning /inspection is the way to go. And your insurance company would be happy as well.

Save a trip to the store and just toss some dollar bills into the fire.
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:41:06 -0500, Fred Wilson

Pecos?
-- Oren
On 23 Nov 2006 06:28:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Strange enough, you might want to contact your insurance company. Since like you they want to keep your home safe, they might have guidlines based on your fireplace usage, and what you burn.
Give them a call.
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com