Basement drain backs up sewage

We had a new house built, moved in Jan 1, 2006. Day 1 we took possession, I was using the utility sink in the basement and the basement floor drain approx 7 feet from the sink, overflowed on the basement floor what looked like pieces of paper and small wood chips. I recalled before taking posession my husband and I looking around the house and it appeared the basement was hosed down. I figured the paper and wood chips coming back up the drain were debris the contractor was too lazy to scoop up and he just hosed down the drain. I figured the material would rot and pass thru and we didn't pursue it with the builder. This has happened several times since but not every time we use that utility sink in the basement. As the water comes up the drain in 5 - 10 minutes it goes back down the drain. Then the drain seems to be working fine. Yesterday my daughter was using the drain when she yelled for me to come to the basement - RAW sewage was overflowing from that drain whenever she turned on the utility sink faucet. There was no mistaking what it was by the appearance and smell. This was fresh sewage by the size of the matter and undigested food, not just a brown liquid, if you get what I mean. As usual in 5-10 minutes the drain emptied. I called the city water dept and a local plumber, both told me to call the builder. We have not had a good relationship or confidence in this builder as this is by far not the first problem with the house. The builder rep and their plumber are coming tomorrow. I'd like some info to be a little informed when they come. The builder always has an excuse and says things are fine or that's how they are suppose to be etc. He's a scammer and liar. Any insight or info so I am a little more prepared? Thanx in advance.

betty

Reply to
campn4fun

Most houses have at least 1 year warranty. Complain now before that time runs out. You already see the error of not saying anything, so don't prolong it. It was not the contractor that was lazy, it was his low paid, low skilled workers.

Not much to know. It is clogged, fix it. The plumber will probably snake it out and clear the debris. It may be another problem, such as a joint gone bad or broken in the line, but is sounds typical of a clog. Half hour work for the plumber.

Sadly, many are that way. Thee is no denying that the drain is not working though, so he should take care of it. At least give him that chance first. Since he is showing up with a plumber he is taking the correct steps.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The vent (if there is one!) is not working.

snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

As others said, get with the builder. A friend bought a new house that had two sewer lines that were to connect outside the house. The contractor had not hooked up one of them!!

Reply to
Rich256

Yes, if you don't squawk, nothing will happen, usually. 30 some years ago, when I bought a new house, we got everything fixed. The neighbor's house, til this day, does not have an outside water faucet in front, because nobody complained to the builder ..... only to the neighbors!

Reply to
Art Todesco