Check your Windows 10 block settings

Page 4 of 5
On 10/19/2015 11:37 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've taken to carry cell phone, for much same reasons. Gives me a good chance of being able to call for help. For me, or for others.
Well, where there is cell service....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And my cell is a lot cheaper and much more useful than one of the popular emergency pendants at ~$30 a month.
On 10/20/2015 10:50 AM, KenK wrote:

SWMBO carries a cell phone "for emergencies" ("Don, I've got a flat tire" "Do we need any linguini for Friday supper?" etc.) She puts $100 of credit on it each year (else she loses any accumulated credit -- or something like that. I think it now has several hundred dollars "on account" as she uses it so little!
OTOH, $8/month (total!) is a small price to pay to be able to make a call in an emergency!
On 10/20/2015 10:56 AM, Don Y wrote:

It's 10-cents a minute and minutes rollover. Per minute cost doesn't matter if you're not using them.
I have a Lycamobile phone plan where prepaid minutes don't expire. I put $10 on it two years ago. Must have been too many doing that, becuz, I think they don't offer the non-expire plan any more.
On 10/20/2015 1:44 PM, mike wrote:

SWMBO got her phone many years ago when she was making regular trips to Utah -- many parts of that trip have spotty coverage, at best. We did a fair bit of research to find the carrier(s) -- at that time -- that would be able to cover her trip. A phone that gets "no signal" isn't much of a bargain -- esp when the nearest "service station" may be the better part of an hour's drive!
In town, it's almost silly to have one as you can *walk* to a service station or some other "open to the public" business in a pinch.

Yep - same here. My first personal cell phone was also my retirement cell phone. ~ 4 1/2 years in - $ 500. spent $ 180. remaining. It's an OK little flip phone - still has good battery life. Using a gas station's pay-as-you-go < PetroCanada > which uses the Bell Canada system. Voicemail, cheap texting, and I transferred my long-standing company-cell-phone number when I retired - a big plus at the time ! I haven't heard of any better cell phone options for low-usage. John T
--- ---
On 10/18/2015 08:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That works until it doesn't. Around here it isn't hard to find stores that don't do plastic and cell reception gets spotty outside of town and the interstates.
On 10/19/2015 10:08 AM, rbowman wrote:

My bank was offering a bonus if you made X number of charges less than $10 on your debit card in one month. The idea was to get you in the habit of using them for everything as they get a percentage.
I rarely use plastic for anything less than $100. Sometimes you can get a better deal with cash too!
On 10/19/2015 12:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My Discover bill includes a credit report from FICO. It's amusing that the months when I charge something the score goes up 11 or so points.

It's a very free feeling to not know, or care, what my credit score is.
On 10/18/2015 06:50 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I think it's weird when someone pulls out their Mastercard at a grocery store to pay for a dozen donuts. I really get upset when the charge is refused and they have to hunt up another card that might have a little life in it. For a real fun time get in line behind someone with an EBT card and a pocketful of dead plastic.
rbowman wrote:

I bought a new car with my card. When dealer hesitated I was going to walk out the door. They don't like cash sale or full payment with CC. They make better money on financed cars.
On 10/18/2015 08:11 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just write a check. The last car I bought the salesman kept launching into his financing deal even though I'd made my intention to pay cash clear. He just couldn't help himself; it was part of his programming.
The last time I financed was back in '80 when they had a $99 down 0% deal to try to move cars off the lot. It was GMAC's money and boosted my credit rating.
I'ts just how I was brought up. You save the money and then you buy what you want; you don't go in hock for it.
rbowman wrote:

'till final price is reached. If financing is taken I pay the whole balance after couple months. I hate car buying more than house buying.
On 10/19/2015 04:36 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't buy houses. If it's not on wheels, I'm not interested.
On 10/18/2015 6:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

The *worst* is someone who fishes around for a checkbook... then starts hunting for a pen... then thumbs through *carbons* of previous checks to find check #7125... then starts writing out the check... then discovers that the ink cartridge is "retracted"... then discovering that the pen is *dead*... then hunting for scrap paper to "scribble on" to "reprime" the pen... then asking the cashier for a pen... then asking who the check should be paid to... then...
and, EVENTUALLY, getting *pissy* that someone waiting makes a comment about how SLOW they are!

I'm with you there. I was never inclined to use checks in a store, just seems like a PITA with little if any benefit.
On 10/18/2015 08:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

That really burns my butt at Costco. You sign the check and the cashier runs it through the machine that prints the rest but you always have half blind, half senile Aunt Millie trying to fill it out for herself.
On 10/19/2015 7:04 AM, rbowman wrote:

Or, someone who has decided they've "spent too much" (?) and then starts an amusing game with the cashier -- trying to figure out which items they can "leave behind" to adjust their total downward to something with which they are more comfortable.
Of course, they can't do mental arithmetic (else wouldn't have got themselves in this bind -- *addition* being much easier for most than subtraction) so, they can't just ask the cashier how much a particular item (i.e., candidate to be "left behind") costs but must actually have the cashier elide it from the current total, recite the *new*/adjusted price at which time they will select other items to "process", similarly. Along the way, deciding to add some items BACK INTO their purchases as others have brought the total down to a point where they can now "afford" these.
(sigh)
And, we won't get into the ones who blissfully drag a cart FULL of items into the "10 items or less" lane. Then, when challenged, start with a justification along the lines of "I'm 84 years old..." as if their age entitles them to some special treatment. I am sorely tempted to jump in with "OhMiGosh! Then, why are you *here*?? You'll probably DROP DEAD any second now! Wouldn't you want to do that in the comfort of your own HOME? Surrounded by all your CATS???!"
["god", if I live that long, PLEASE don't let me become one of these olde fartes!]