Cheating Contractors

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 04:39:44 -0500, "Twice Retired"

If I were your neighbor I'd come over there and stomp the living shit out of your snitching little ass, but then that's just me.
<contractor man> wrote in message wrote:

Nah, you're just another snivellin, cheat. You are the kind who screws their neighbor instead of helping them.

Sorry, but I'm with the group that figures if you're too stupid to be able to handle a project, you should opt out.
Neighbor or no.
Steve

Yep, I will admit, some of the group are pretty stupid. No questions were asked, only irrational judgments made. 1. My neighbor asked me to look at the installation as even he had some doubts. 2. Conversations with the county inspection department revealed that this pool builder had discovered a flaw in the inspection system. 3. The flaw was, if no inspection was called the permit expired in 6 months with no further action. 4. The county searched records for 5 years, their record limit, and found 17 instances of no final inspection. 5. Pool builder was contacted by county attorney and the result was that recipients of the builder's services could have the builder make corrections or engage a private contractor to make corrections with cost born by the pool builder. 6. Of the 17, 12 elected private contractors at an average cost of about $500.00 (per info from county). 7. One lady is suing the pool builder as her granddaughter received an electrical shock as a result of the faulty work. Her foot was burned pretty badly according to Martha (Grandama). My neighbor is an active pneumatics engineer and I am a retired EE. I served on electrical code committees during my active years and still assist small contractors. I wonder how the "stupid members" of the group would feel if I had reported that a child had been electrocuted by the faulty installation. From previous comments probably just laugh it off as they are probably laughing about the 7 year old with the burned foot. Ah well, you could have had a real belly laugh if it would have been your child or grandchild.
"Twice Retired" wrote

Happens but keep in mind, many here are just learning with their first house. They tend to make somewhat rash judgements, often caused by insufficient information in the first post. Instead of asking, like they should, they jump to conclusions.

This makes it all clear (and yes, I saw you mentioned this right away after someone didnt like your handling as they presumed you were just acting on your own). Inadvertant on your part, I was thinking of asking if such was the case myself when I read on and saw it was your neighbor asking for you to take a look and help out. Totally different there.

That or he'd lose his license I gather?

No, if you had said only that, they would have been mad at you for not taking earlier action! Usenet...
Meantime, I've gotten and given quite a bit in this group as far as advice for queries. Advice where I do not know a thing is generally fairly good with a few exceptions, and given only in areas I have reasonable experience in with specifics on what that experience is. Probably longest thread for me, was helping a fellow with how to rescreen a wood porch with ancellary advice on how to make proper 'pet borders' to keep them from damaging it too much. (I have a 44ft wood porch fully screened at the back of the house, and pets. I rescreen some portion of it annually but it may just be one small bit where a fat cat made it bow out a little as the ledge is not that wide. Got back from Japan after 6.5 years and had to do the whole thing again.)