Cheating Contractors

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections. In many cases their violations are a danger to the life/safety of people, especially children, and domestic animals. There is a swimming pool contractor in the area that has been violating the construction codes and bypasses the final inspection by never calling for an inspection and letting the permit expire. I learned of this when he did a job for a neighbor and I viewed his installation and there were many code violations. I photographed the visible violations and delivered copies to the county inspection department. The inspector informed me that there had been no inspection. The inspector came out, as a courtesy to me as the permit holder had not called, and verified the violations. That?s all it took. My neighbor?s system was extensively re-worked and is now code compliant. The county has now gone into their closed files to find the jobs where no inspection was called. It appears that there may be upwards of 17 instances of letting the permit expire without performing the inspection. The county is taking action. I have reviewed my neighbor?s system before and after corrections and the interesting fact to me is that if the system was installed in accordance with the code to begin with, the actual material/labor cost would have been slightly less than the violation installation. Go figure! If you have a job performed, be certain that there is an inspection that ascertains that the installation complies with local codes/ordinances.

Reply to
Twice Retired

There are shady people doing business in every field that exists. You, as an individual must take responsibility, and be your own advocate, regardless if it's a trip to the dentist, or buying a swimming pool. Unfortunately, in our over-regulated society, we're being brought up to believe that "others" are responsible for our well being, that if I can stick my fingers in the fan blade, someone didn't build it right, that if I manage to fall off of my ladder, it's the manufacturer's fault. How does someone have construction done, of the magnitude that the taxes on the real property will increase, like a swimming pool, and not get the particulars from whatever local, county, or state agency is in charge? Yes, there are plenty of thieves out there, but it sounds like these folks invited them in, and opened the safe

Reply to
RBM

I frequently meet customers who tell me up front that they don't want permits or inspections on any work being done. I actually have to sell them on the virtues of having a third party inspect the work.

Reply to
John Grabowski

its partially the counties fault once a permit is pulled follow up visits should be required

Reply to
hallerb

Sometimes it's too easy:

Ten years ago, a builder put up three large homes on adjacent lots near me. It appears that all three were sold either before construction began, or soon after. Work proceeded on all three in parallel until the buildings were weatherproof: roofing, siding, doors and windows installed. Then the builder declared bankruptcy and walked away.

There are no sewers on the street (the several existing homes have septic). Since a septic system is no longer allowed in new construction, these homes are uninhabitable. The owners had long and totally unproductive discussions with the city about extending sewers to this street. Now the homes stand unfinished and abandoned.

I don't know whether the builder got permits or not. Either way, three homeowners saw their dreams turn into a nightmare.

Reply to
Bryce

People dont realise that pulling a permit is buying cheap insurance, you get a free inspection, and you can write a contract to not pay till it passes inspection. People see permits as a tax and pain in the ass, in reality permits are the only reason houses are still standing, Look at Chinas massive building failures because of the earthquake, not only did the government ignore Melamine poisoning its always ignored construction issues.

Reply to
ransley

How did they ever get permitting without a plan for the septic or sewer?That usually happens before you can even submit your building plan, in the zoning process.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes apparently the Chines populace themselves nicknamed some of the too readily collapsed schools "Tofu buildings" because they were built on the cheap with allegations of corruption and pay-backs! Whereas 'Party Buildings' were/are unduly luxurious or well built.

Pity isn't it. A GOOD contractor will hardly get a mention; even if they were to go out of their way to absorb some of or all of a condition that no one knew about beforehand.

Yes (not often) but there are such highly ethical plus people; the sort who say "We found a bit of rot while were in there working anyway, so fixed it up for you. It's OK now. No extra charge".

Also unbiased government involvement seems to be necessary in any society (even if the government itself) contracts or licences others to do the actual work. You cannot just say "Any government is too much government".

You can't have companies making fireworks that go off if you pick them up by hand, cars where the wheels fall off, bread or milk that poisons people or clothing that contaminates peoples skins, or roof trusses that collapse at the first rain! There have to be standards, even minimum ones.

Many European countries seem to be getting the balance between government and private enterprise right. Possibly why so , many new countries are trying to join the EU?

For example: There is currently a a major fuss in our country because of an outbreak of Listeriosis contaminated food from meat packing which has caused deaths.

This is occurring during our election following a government that has reduced the numbers of an already understaffed food inspection division. At very least we know who to blame; not that restores anyone to life! Either false government economy or too much industry lobbying to allow looser standards maybe?

Reply to
terry

So let me see if I got this right. You took it upon yourself to sic the government on your neighbor, trespass his property, put him at risk for having to pay another contractor to bring the project up to code (he not the contractor is liable, you know) .... and you're so proud of your behavior that you publish it here for all the world to see?

If you had done that to me, I'd probably poke you in the nose....

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

You're not very bright. My neighbor asks for my assistance in many ways, the pool being just one. Screw around in this area and you'll be carried out.

Reply to
Twice Retired

I suspect the homes went up without any permit activity at all. Amazing that three 4-bedroom houses of the $350,000 flavor could go up without the city noticing. My tax dollars at work.

Reply to
Bryce

BTW the county inspection department forced the pool installer to correct all deficiencies w/o cost to the owners of any of the properties.

Reply to
Twice Retired

Carried out? Not by you little girl...and perhaps if you'd mentioned in your OP that your neighbor had asked you for your help.....

And BTW, crooked contractors routinely bankrupt themselves every 3-6 months leaving an empty corporate shell that no one-- gov't bodies included-- can come back on and "force" to do anything.

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

SO IT WAS YOU! YOU DARN SNITCH! THOSE PESKY INSPECTORS WILL BE CRAWLING ALL OVER THE DANG BLASTED JOB!

Inspectors around here are actually not that hard to work with if you just follow the code and standards. Sometimes a municipality will have a little different standards than a national code book so we don't argue with them and everything works out. I have a job going on right now where I have to move old equipment and install new. It's not just inspectors we have to deal with, it's all the other guys doing different things for the project.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Most inspectors are OK and they know the contractors that will try to get by and the ones that will follow the code all the time. There are always a few inspectors that are on a power trip and like being a PITA, especially to the homeowner. Of course, some of them deserve the hard time too.

I've seen inspections done over the phone and I've seen some not done at all. You find good and bad everywhere.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Can yew spell troll?

I knew yew could.

Every place I have lived, the project would have been red tagged before the foundation was poured. There is a sequence of things, one of them being the inspection process. "Homes" are not built without each stage being inspected and okayed. And that starts with the dirt.

Someone has been smoking too much ganja.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Lemmee see if I understand this ..........

The people were too stupid to do it right the first time, so the homeowner let them try it again?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reggie named for the "Becker" character? Sounds like a real good neighbor who lived about a half mile up the road. Hated everybody, wouldn't assist a blind woman to cross the street, suspicious of everyone in the neighborhood, peeked out from behind the curtains at the neighborhood, called the cops about kids waiting for the school bus, put out poison for area dogs. And those were just some of her good points. She actually had been busted for growing pot. The folks in the area tried to humor her as long as she wasn't destructive. She had to have everything explained to her in minute detail as she had no cognizant ability to understand other than exactly what she was told. There are a couple of us who tried to help her by cutting her grass, painting the trim on her home, and my wife, and Fred's wife, actually would drive her to grocery and doctor. She moved to FL about 2 years ago. Reggie sounds like the same person. Don't ever assist anyone and be suspicious of everybody and their intent.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Neil Phillips

Reggie Dunlop

If I were your neighbor I'd come over there and stomp the living shit out of your snitching little ass, but then that's just me.

Reply to
contractor man