Cheap receptacles vs heavy duty

Page 2 of 2

SMF wrote:

I use spec grade for all replacements or any spot I suspect will profit from the upgrade from the contractor special 27 jobs.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I have myself, but if pressed I doubt that I could tell the difference.
I think that's really the essence of the question, what is the difference. On the surface there doesn't appear to be any.

Funny you should mention that. I went today for an outlet. There were some for $.69, and some for $3.49. I looked for about two seconds and bought the one for $3.49. For $.69, how much could it cost to have it built, and how much quality materials could it contain?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

About as much as all the other receptacles in your house. Did the $3.49 have spiral springs behind the contacts, come apart easily for repairs, have gold or silver contacts, and a cute little light to find them in the dark?
I'd like to think that all outlets are "built to spec"
There should be nothing wrong with using the .89 cent socket with the UL symbol.
Except in a shop environment, how often do you plug/unplug an electrical item ?
The only exception would be a high wattage circuit. I had a 1500 watt space heater plugged into an outlet that got hot. I would expect a pricier socket would make better contact with the plug.
<rj>
imagine your replacing every receptable in your home......
say 50? the price difference between cheapo to good quality is 3 bucks
so you invest 150 bucks more than the cheap ones.
if you have a electrician install replacements the higher priced ones are a bargain.
150 bucks isnt much to spend for added quality and reability