Chainsaw blade sharpened?

Page 2 of 3

ng_reader wrote:

The wood smokes and the saw doesn't cut worth squat (your symptoms) if the chain is on backwards.
Might be something to check...

I've never seen a saw burn wood to the point where it's smoking unless, like Bub suggests - backward chain. The sharper the saw the larger the wood chips it produces. Learn how to use and maintain the tool before you attempt to use it. A dull saw may not cut wood but can still take your leg off.
jim wrote: ...

Try some about 20-yr dead ash sometime... :)

All the time. Burn lots of ash, maple, cherry and oak in the wood stove. I use a Husqvarna. Sharpened every time I use it - never a problem.

Or mock orange. Its the only wood I've cut that is so dense that it makes the chain throw sparks.
BTW, nothing will dull a chain faster than cutting a downed tree and letting the chain cut into the dirt as it exits the tree trunk.
KC
KC wrote:

You sure you don't mean Osage orange (bodark)?
This ash will/does, too...standing but dead for so long it's completely dried out. I've a bunch yet to finish cleaning up in but they're so much work I just hate it. Plus, the way ash grows w/ that fanning out of the branches in all directions makes it such a pita to get into one even w/ the lift...

How about nails in the wood?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What about 'em?

Nails can dull a saw chain very fast. Maybe even faster than dirt. ====quoted===BTW, nothing will dull a chain faster than cutting a downed tree and letting the chain cut into the dirt as it exits the tree trunk.
KC ===end quoted==
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That they will dull a chain faster than cutting into dirt perhaps?
Harry K
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:04:46 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

That would be a better result than what I had happen once. I hit a bolt embedded in a tree trunk and the whole chain went sailing past my ear at a very high rate of speed. It was VERY close. ( It only dulled one tooth of the chain)
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

whew... I gotta stop reading this thread...
--
Kenneth

I have hit nails and other unidentified stuff several times. Most recent was Monday and of course it was with a new chain that I had only been using for about an hour. Seems it always happens to a new chain or one that has just been sharpened. Never broke a chain...yet, knock wood.
Harry K
Saws are designed with the bar off to the right. Ideally, a right handed saw operator keeps his head far to the left. So that when the chain comes flying back at you, the saw goes over your right shoulder.
I've seen saw operators (complete idiots) with their head exactly in line with the bar. I told em why that was dangerous, and they didn't (complete idiots) listen to me.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploadedImages/articles/issues/1984-09-01/089-056-01pix_01-01.jpg
Here is a good safety page.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Favorite things to find in a tree. What is it about a brand new chain that makes them find one? Happened again two days ago. New chain, hours cutting, NAIL! :).
Dead locust will also throw sparks.
Harry K

like, well, like iron.

It doesn't have to be ash. My dull chain smoked at cutting fresh pine, maybe it was the pine tar burning I don't know. But after sharpening, cuts were easy with no smoking. A dull cutting edge creates more friction, more heat.
Phisherman wrote:

I'm actually, really dry ash doesn't so much smoke, it shoots sparks... :)
...even w/ a sharp chain.
I have seen forward chain smoke -- if the bar oil is empty or not oiling for some reason.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Oh, I will miss my easy Usenet findings once Comcast opts out of Usenet all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSYov5jcO0&NR=1

This guy shows how easy it is to sharpen your blade. However --- however --- I'll need to get it done professionally, eventually.
Likely for $25 I can get a tool and chain. Sharpen the old, put on the new, have a spare.
- Do you really think it's a good idea to call your chainsaw "Wild Thing"?. I mean, really, do you?