Chainsaw blade sharpened?

ld Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt

Anybody remember that chain that 'sharpened itself'? IIRC a special chain and an attachment. Seem to recall the teeith were shaped completely differently and as the chain ran an attachment touching the chain sharpened it. Also seem to recall that it was not successful, or universally accepted and it has disappeared? Curious.

Reply to
terry

Nails can dull a saw chain very fast. Maybe even faster than dirt. ====quoted==== BTW, nothing will dull a chain faster than cutting a downed tree and letting the chain cut into the dirt as it exits the tree trunk.

KC ===end quoted===

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That they will dull a chain faster than cutting into dirt perhaps?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That would be a better result than what I had happen once. I hit a bolt embedded in a tree trunk and the whole chain went sailing past my ear at a very high rate of speed. It was VERY close. ( It only dulled one tooth of the chain)

Reply to
salty

whew... I gotta stop reading this thread...

Reply to
Kenneth

I have hit nails and other unidentified stuff several times. Most recent was Monday and of course it was with a new chain that I had only been using for about an hour. Seems it always happens to a new chain or one that has just been sharpened. Never broke a chain...yet, knock wood.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Buy the tool once, sharpen the chain 20 times: $20 Buy 20 chains: $400 Being smarter than the log you're trying to cut: Priceless

Reply to
mkirsch1

Incorrect cutting methods?

And if you wanna take the time, you can sharpen the chain with a small "rattail" file.

Reply to
Ron

I presume you are using bar oil, and that the bar oil is properly feeding onto the chain?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Saws are designed with the bar off to the right. Ideally, a right handed saw operator keeps his head far to the left. So that when the chain comes flying back at you, the saw goes over your right shoulder.

I've seen saw operators (complete idiots) with their head exactly in line with the bar. I told em why that was dangerous, and they didn't (complete idiots) listen to me.

Here is a good safety page.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

definition of an 'unsharp' chain??? one that hasn't been sharpened since the last use.

Incorrect cutting methods?

And if you wanna take the time, you can sharpen the chain with a small "rattail" file.

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT