Poulan chainsaw repair question

I have a Poulan 295 Farmhand, 20" chainsaw. The teeth on the drum that drive the chain are broken and I need to replace the drum. I'm not exactly sure how to get it off? Here's a link to the parts manual (ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/outdoor/88792.pdf) - it looks like it requires a special tool to rotate the clutch and also that the flywheel side has to be held as the clutch is spun off, but I'm not exactly sure? Any help would be appreciated.

The root cause of the issue (I believe) is I'm running a bigger bar (still

20", but's its 'got big teeth') and chain. The chain rides higher on the drum than it should and I'm guessing after a bit of wear, this might allow the chain to slip periodically which would place an large impact load on the drums teeth. Any thoughts on where I could get a drum with bigger teeth or maybe I should just go back to the whimpy chain that came with the saw :-(...

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

it is left handed threads you need to use some sort of piston stop ( a chunk of rope fed through the spark plug hole can work but leave part of the rope sticking out to pull it out when done) and then you will need to find something to spin off the clutch I have a special tool it is basically a chunk of metal with a nut welded on one side for your socket and 2 roll pins sticking out the other side to grab the clutch spacing of teh roll pins is teh tricky part. good luck hope this helps

Reply to
Dr. Doctor

Many thanks!

The rope idea worked like a champ and an the flats of an adjustable wrench made a pretty good fit into the clutch - so I just had to feed a rod though the adj. wrench and twist.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff