Chainsaw blade sharpened?

Page 1 of 3

Using my Poulan "Wild Thing" chainsaw this weekend, and a lot of burnt wood where I made my cuts.
Don't recall the chain being so bad, but a new one --- on Amazon --- is $20.
My question is, is that the definitive answer of an unsharp chain? Slow cutting and burnt wood?
And, as a follow up, if I may, youtube showed me how to sharpen with a tool. Doesn't look that hard, but if the tool is as much as a new chain, well, you do the math.
thanks in advance.
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:46:16 -0400, "ng_reader"

When you do the math, bear in mind that the tool may be able to sharpen many chains many times, saving quite a bit of money in the long run. You'll also be able to have a really sharp chain more of the time, which you will grow to appreciate quickly.
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:46:16 -0400, "ng_reader"

Howdy,
You could learn to sharpen your chain, but it is not nearly as easy as it might appear (particularly with the relatively inexpensive tools that are available.)
A likely better bet is to have the chain sharpened professionally. It costs a few bucks, but you will have a functionally new (perhaps better than new) chain, and will not have to buy the tools.
Check with any place that sells chainsaws. Many offer the sharpening service.
And one final thought:
If you use the saw frequently, consider having more than one chain. That way, you can still use the saw while one (or more) of your chains is being sharpened.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

It's very easy but a bit time consuming. Less time than it would take to drive the saw to a "pro".
I don't know how close your pro is, but most of the time when I'm running saw, I'm at least half hour from a saw shop. At bare minimum. I can have the chain sharpened in much less than half hour, and I don't have to stand and wait while someone else sharpens.
To the original poster who's smoking a chain. Check your bar oil, might not be lubricating under the chain. The little oiler ports sometimes get clogged with sawdust.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

try reading my post again...i said the same thing. takes me about 5 min to sharpen a chain saw. i don't even know where to take one.

Gee, is it really practical to hire out this sharpening job. I have to sharpen mine almost everytime I use it. I figure if you dont use it enough to keep it sharpened you would probably be better off just renting one for the day than owning one. My father owned a few hundred acres of timberland and maintained it himself back in the 60s so I learned when I was a teenager to use a chainsaw. I have to wonder whether a not a person who can not sharpen one can handle one safely. Its obvious the OP used his way past the time it needed sharpening and I think most homeowners tend to do that. I know since I bought my Sawzall I hardly ever use mine.
Jimmie
I know since I bought my Sawzall I hardly ever use mine.
Jimmie
They make 36" Sawzall blades now?
Steve

No, I have already cut everything down that big that I will ever need to cut. I doubt if I use mine more than once a year now. If I didnt already own it I wouldnt buy one, instead I would rent. If you just got to have one get a professional grade saw, not one of these pieces of junk they sell in the "big box" stores. You will be glad you did.
Jimmie
Either dull, or out of bar oil. Either one will smoke the chain.
I bought a sawzall, and I use my sawzall occasionally. Shame that you bought a sawzall, but hardly use your sawzall.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I use the two-chain method because the darn thing always seems to get dull half-way through a sawing project. Switch chains to finish the job for the day, then drop the dull one off at the hardware store the next morning.
Paul

I use a small file I bought at HD for about $4.00. I've been using the same chain ever since. I don't do a lot of cutting but I usually sharpen it just about every time I use it.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0388786
On 9/23/2008 11:46 AM ng_reader spake thus:

Yes; do the math. You only have to buy the sharpening tool once, after which you can resharpen the chain many times before needing to buy a new one, which ought to save you much $$$.
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:46:16 -0400, "ng_reader"

A dull chain will burn the wood and the chainsaw will bog down. Many hardware stores can sharpen a chain (on the saw) in a few minutes on a machine for about $4, a good deal. I guess a Dremmel tool can sharpen a chain, but still it would take much longer.

A chain already in good condition, but not sharp, is sharpened by 5 to 10 strokes on each tooth (say 15 seconds per tooth) x say 30 teeth = less than 10 min. A file and angle guide cost about $12 and fit in your pocket so you can sharpen at lunchtime when out in the bush (or any time you encounter dense, blunting timber, or a tree so dangerous as to deserve a quick precise cut.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Actually a Dremel does it pretty fast and gets the teeth set better than a file.. They make special stones for sharpening chainsaws. Just be sure to get the stone for the size chain you have.
I've been using a hand file for sharpening. Much less time than driving to the store. Someday I'll get a 12 volt dremel sharpener, but it hasn't been that much of an issue.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
ng_reader wrote:

Avoid hitting nails, rocks and things. Anything you touch will dull the chain in a second when it's running. Carefull when setting it down you don't touch the pavement and such. Sharpening is easy and quick depending on how bad you ruined it and it sounds like you creamed it. I have NEVER seen a chain saw burn the wood! It normally only takes one or two file strokes on each tooth. BUt if you bunged it all up, who knows. You may need a new chain anyway.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

ng_reader wrote: ...

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/78-487-chainsaw-files-and-tools.aspx
It seems sharpening a chainsaw chain has become another of the urban legend items of incredible difficulty only a pro can do...
As someone else noted, a simple chainsaw file will do quite nicely although he didn't mention the requisite guide.
Be sure to determine the proper diameter for your particular chain.