Chain Saw

Well, my trusty old chain saw has finally died. It lasted 15 years. I think that's not bad considering all the abuse over the years. One of the seals finally went bad and it 'leaned out' by cutting down the gas mixture to less than the required 2 stroke mix.
It was a Husqavarna model 50 with a 18" bar. It would run out of gas about the same time I did under most circumstances. Really good saw and I'm not real happy about it finally dying.
Any serious suggestions about a replacement saw?
Thanks to all and a happy holiday season.

Another Husqy...thats it..I kinda like the Rancher55..but thats me..its not a super serious saw, but its not a weak one either....and for under $400, its not bad in the price range.

Haven't you answered your own question? If the same brand looks like it's still built with the same quality... buy it!
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:29:50 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Ha! As I read your first sentence I thought:
"Hell yeah he answered his own question -- damn thing only lasted 15 years! Bet he wishes he bought a Stihl the first time!"
So, I guess it's all in the interpretation....
<g>
--
The Gnerd

Of course, you checked to see if you can get a replacement seal? I had a similar thing happen to a Homelite XL Automatic. I considered coating the outside of the seal with silicone caulk, figuring that would also keep air from entering. I never did get around to trying that, though.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
Stormin Mormonn wrote:

Well, then, never mind. I didn't actually try it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
HeatMan wrote:

I've had an Echo 660EVL for about 15 or 20 years, and it still runs great and has lots of power, but it's awfully heavy. I think it's about a 4 cubic inch motor. It has a 20" bar but can take a larger one. The equivalant saw is now called a CS-6700.
For trimming work I use an Echo CS-3000 with a cute little 12" bar.
Best regards, Bob
Hi, Another Husq. or Sthil. Tony
HeatMan wrote:

Are you sure its dead, does it crank, try a compression test, If you have enough compression and it turns over it aint dead yet.
Replace the seals and throw on a new jug.

This is Turtle.
Hey Heat man, The loggers around here use Sthil mostly but if they have a $100.00 short on money for a new saw. They will use the Husky like you stated. In their eyes the sthil is a little better tool.
TURTLE
My homelite quit oiling. Is that hard to repair?
PJ

This is Turtle.
No the thing usely is stopped up on the oil tube going to the chain. Just 1/2 fill the oil tank with diesel and shack a lot to wash it out. if not disassemble and clean out the oil tube and oiler port at chain area.
You can prevent this by cleaning the saw dust and dirt around the cap that you pull to put oil in it everytime you refill the oil tank. Clean around it everytime you refill it.
TURTLE

You were right, but when I went to clean it out, it cracked as it is very old. Now, I gotta find a new black tube somewhere.
PJ