Chain link fence

Page 1 of 2
I have moved into a house that has the backyard fenced with a 4 foot chain link fence.
I wish to find a cost effecient method of raising the height to 6 feet to keep my dogs in.
I wish to hear any and all suggestions as to how this can be done without tearing out the whole fence and replacing it with a new one.
Thanks...
Can you shorten your dogs.

An electric wire run around the bottom of the fence will keep the dogs in just fine. It's what our Humane Society routinely recommends to adoptors of escape artist dogs. It's no more "dangerous" to dogs or people than is touching your tongue to a battery. You can purchase everything you need at the agricultural co-op for about $50.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:09:14 GMT, "Sunflower"

I dont think a hot wire around the bottom will keep the dogs from taking a running flying leap over a 4 ft. fence. But, they do work great for diggers. All I can think of his if you can find post that fit inside the fence post or some how weld extensionsting post and just buy more 4 ft. chainlink and double up.
actually the idea of an electric fence is a great idea and SO much easier than other solutions. www.radiofence.com
--
______________________
Claudia
ClaudCar wrote:

He could easily add some height to his fence by stringing some concertina up there. I doubt the dog would get through it. The neighbors would wonder though...
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:54:56 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

This is the best idea yet! You must know my dog...
LARRY THE CABLE GUY wrote:

My neighbor just got a dog in the spring of last year. I have had a dog for the 20 years that I have lived here. I currently have a Female Golden Retriever (10 YO) and my neighbor also got a FGR. My GR is never loose, she goes out 3 or 4 times a day and is on a dog run, a 75' cable that runs from the house to a tree. My neighbor was having a problem with his pup coming on to my property and planting more 'land mines', in addition to the three or four a day that my dog planted. He has young children and they would take the dog out with them and naturally, not watch the dog after that. He had the electric 'fence' installed on his property last fall and it was installed some 10 feet from the line between his property and mine. This year, his dog would not not come within 10 feet of the electric fence, but would stand off and bark.
Don't forget the permit. Xerox your property survey, draw a mod detail showing height and get approval from the inspection department because sure as the dickens some one will complain and when you're legit they're gonna have to football a petition door to door and maybe deposition you to an arbitrator or a court to have some official tell you to lower it back down.

of
at

What kind of dogs are you keeping that would go over a 4" fence?
Colbyt

I have a Jack Russell that will CLEAR a 4 foot fence.......

Interesting! That little sucker needs a long running start.
Damn little heel nippers. The only dog of any breed that that ever attacks me.
Colbyt

No running start! She thinks she's a rabbit (she's the long-legged kind). Would never hurt a flea, but she DOES bark at the UPS man......
Red Neckerson wrote:

Barking at the UPS man is not a good thing. Jehovahs Witnesses I can see.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:25:24 GMT, "Red Neckerson"

Same here... my little lab/cocker spaniel mix can jump straight up in the air and clear the fence without even having a running start.
The other one has no problem at all clearing it, but he climbs it instead...
neighbors G.Shepherd was climbing his and another neighbors six foot wood fence to get to a sexy smelling female mid sized mutt. He put a rope on that dog and tied it to a concrete block.... which of course followed the dog nicely into the girl friends home right through a panel in her front door. Apparently the dogs liked each other pretty well as they becoming a family.

feet

At a previous home, 42-inch chain link fence, I would find a beagle in my back yard. When I came out of the house, he *climbed* the fence to get out.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:25:24 GMT, "Red Neckerson"

My small sheltie will clear 4 feet easy.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:18:41 -0400, "Colbyt"

I have a houdini dog that climbs the fence, and a little lab/cocker spaniel mix that learned bad habits from the other one.

CONCERTINA WIRE ??
<rj>