Ceramic tiles - best way to take about 1/4" off?

Question says it all really - looking for ideas from pros or anyone with considerably more experience than me!
trick question?
wet diamond blade saw avail hd lws $50+/-? or rent one
bill

Yeah, a snap cutter won't really work on such a narrow trim. If you don't have too many, then I recommend an abrasive tile saw "blade" that fits in a hacksaw frame. It's not a blade so much as an abrasive impregnated rod. I had very good luck cutting commercial grade tiles with one of this back when I did my bathroom. Looks like this: http://www.amazingproducts.co.uk/page9.html Got it at Home Depot I think. You could also use a carbide grit-edged regular hacksaw blade. Hope this helps.

That's what I thought too.
If you don't

Also along the lines I was thinking. Thanks to all who replied.
I had a situation like that at my old house. I had installed ceramic wall tiles and decided later to put some wood trim around the border but wanted the trim to align with the counter top. I had to trim about a quarter inch off the tiles. I got a Dewalt DW660 cut-out tool with a ceramic bit. Sucker is strong. You need to hot-melt glue a straight edge to the ceramic if you want a clean straight cut. I free-handed my cut because I was putting trim around the tile.
If the tiles are not yet installed you might try hot-melt gluing the tiles to a piece of plywood, laying a straight edge and trimming them that way with the cut-out tool.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

--
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost

Are the tiles already in place?...or are you installing them?
Have a nice Labor Day weekend...
Trent

I've had fairly good results scoring the tile then gently clamping the smaller part ( 1/4 inch in your case ) in my bench vise and giving the larger part a sharp blow with my palm. Often it breaks cleanly all the way across, but occasionally needs to be repositioned in the vise and given a clean-up whack to break off any pieces that missed the first attempt. If there are still some jagged edges remaining they get a few passes across my bench grinder. Good luck Clint
If you have a small right angle grinder, and need to cut a few tiles, Lowe's carries diamond tile blades. Use the link below if it didn't cut off, or go to www.lowes.com and do a search for diamond, then click on saw blades.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=CIRCULAR_SAW_BLADES.CATEGORY&topic=goShopping

Rent (or purchase) a small wet saw. If you only have a few tiles, Home Depot makes tile cuts on a wet saw in the store.
Dean