Central heating continuously runs

Page 2 of 2

So you bought a new meter to check capacitors.... that was a real good use of your time and money... The cost of a decent meter that you *might* need tocheck a $20 capacitor... is as much as the cost of a service call and capacitor replacement. I am missing the part where you are saving anything here.
Steve wrote:

The unit, Sperry DM6450 - 9 function, was on sale for $45 at Menards. An AC service call is $89, and my last capacitor (installed) cost $280. I thought we (almost) agreed that 10P was the absolute minimum! : ) And, having my own unit, I won't even need to wait two days for someone to check it. You think this is a poor investment of time and money? It was only 2 miles to the store, so for the dollar value of my time, it makes sense for me maybe not for you.
As someone who enjoys using his hands, I'm sure I'll find other uses for the multimeter too. It's a nice improvement from the Radio Shack cheapie I bought for myself for about $8 in 1978, which eats batteries as long as you leave them in. I'm sure I'll also learn something from the new tool as I experiment with it as I'm interested in electronics.
As far as the "might need" part, as you may have pointed out, it's really just a matter of "when". If I could start over with my $280 capacitor, I would handle it differently. Live and learn. $280 capacitors are fine for people who can afford them I guess. At this point, I don't see how a homeowner can afford not to be able to check a capacitor on his or her own. As you have said, the cooling unit is the most expensive appliance in the house. Last week I suggested to a friend to check his (dual) capacitor, and he was able to repair his AC unit for $17.50. THAT was actually the tipping point which made me decide to own a better multimeter. I'm a "tool guy" anyway so $45 is not a huge amount of money to me for a good tool. I paid almost as much for a torque wrench which doesn't see much duty, and twice as much for a Starrett combination square, and I have no regrets. But I see the potential of paying $280 a second time for a bad capacitor as just a waste of a tech's valuable time. I can't even make myself pay $185 for a Veritas router plane, and I really would like one of those! : )
It actually probably makes sense for many people (those that won't hurt themselves) to have extra capacitors (one for the fan motor and one for the compressor motor) on the shelf and ready to go--don't you think? Together they would cost less than a tank of gas, and they they would have very little down time when a capacitor goes bad. It seems like cheap insurance. If they buy the multimeter ($45) and both capacitors (for say $35) and ever use either capacitor then they would come out $200 ahead, and still have a multimeter and a capacitor on hand! Are you still sticking with your hyperbole about my use of time and money? : ) I know how to use a torch too, but I'm not going there today...lol.
Cheers, Bill

I said a *DECENT* meter.... Fluke and UEI meters that are capacitance capable, run around $250 a copy. If your dual-run capacitor goes bad, and you replace it with a good quality 440v one, not the cheapest chinese POS you can find, you should never have to worry with it again.
You just continue on your merry little way...
I'm curious what $45 meter checks capacitance. Maybe one from HF?
If you take out a 370 volt cap, and put in a 440 volt cap, the increased voltage will fry electrical equipment. (OK, have fun with that, it's my early Christmas present to you.)

I said a *DECENT* meter.... Fluke and UEI meters that are capacitance capable, run around $250 a copy. If your dual-run capacitor goes bad, and you replace it with a good quality 440v one, not the cheapest chinese POS you can find, you should never have to worry with it again.
You just continue on your merry little way...
All through school, I was the kid who was teased and picked on. For me, it's natural to deliberately write stupid things now and again, and get the predictable reaction. It's what I grew up with.
H.I.S.I., pronounced (hissy) stands for Humor Irony Sarcasm Impairment and folks suffering from that disease often fail to grok the humor of the statements of others and situations where someone is pulling your leg. The suffers of the malady often have HISI fits and respond with great indignation when they fail to see the humor in many situations. ^_^
TDD

Interesting that you would admit that. Strange that you wouldn't try to grow out of it, it's long past time.
You could start by actually listening to people when they ask you to stop top posting.
--
Dan Espen

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wrote: Sperry DM-6450 - 9 function It was regularly $55 at Menards.
Bill wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)44620222&sr=8-1&keywords=sperry+dm+6450
I guess a politican could encourage list writers to refer the matter to a COMPETENT, LICENSED politician to take care of it?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What does he do so well; should he be in politics?
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:05:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

should have joined up with organized crime and ran for public office. John
Me, well, I joined organized Mormons. I'd rather that, than money or earthly corrupt power.
Reflecting on the past, I made a mistake chosing organized labor. I should have joined up with organized crime and ran for public office. John
Steve wrote:

You think the Sperry DM-6450 can't check a $20 capacitor properly?
Fluke and UEI meters that are capacitance

What you do you mean by that? I've been coming here regularly for 3 months. What's your problem?
On 08 Aug 2012 14:22:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Ha! A good repairman could take the make, model, and symptom, and tell you exactly which part failed and it's value or tube number. I worked for a guy like that.

There's nothing wrong with the technique.

Not really because you need to yank chasy out which on some TVs was big job!!

Does tstat control a relay on furnace that is sticking?
On 8/5/2012 11:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, or a short in the wiring. Should only take 2 wires to do the control. A third wire is typically used to provide additional functionality, like power so the thermostat can be lit up, etc.
And what is the history? Did it ever work? Was it working and then something was changed?
Also the overall settup isn't clear. In these parts we usually don't have seperate timer and thermostat. We have a programmable thermostat that combines temp settings for various periods with a clock.
On 8/5/2012 6:41 AM, Daren Friday wrote:

indicate it's the lemon of all boilers. Do a search, there are plenty of help sites, as it seems that everyone that owns one of them has problems
On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:41:51 +0000, Daren Friday

If this was my problem, I'd go to a local heating contractor, and ask them for advice. Most places will try to be helpful, knowing you may be back to buy parts or hire them to do the repair. Try to find someone who works on these boilers. Call around and just ask them if they work on them. That way you'll know where to go.
One thing to remember, is that a thermostat is nothing more than an on-off switch. It just cycles on-off according to room temperatures. Remove the thermostat wires from the boiler completely. Jump across the terminals with a simple wire with alligator clips on the end. With the wire connected, it should turn on, with wire removed, it should turn off. If that dont work, there is likely a bad control. There should be a 24v transformer somewhere nearby, and some sort of relay that turns on and off via the thermostat sending that 24v to that relay. Make sure you got 24 AC volts. Then check for that relay and see if it contacts (moves) when the 24v is applied. (unless this is a new boiler with electronic controls). Either way, it seems like you have a problem with the controls, not the boiler itself, and likely not the thermostat.
On Aug 10, 4:05am, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that will work. Might as well go over to the HVAC group..... I'm sure they'll tell you where to go.....