Boiler pump runs continuously

Years ago, a serviceman installed a new pump and wired it to run continuously when the heat circuit was on because "it's more energy efficient as it gets all the heat into the radiators." Well the pump burned out (bearings) and I installed a new one. But I would like to have the pump run ONLY when heat is called for. The boiler is and old, old American Standard 100000 Btu and the thermostat is programmable. How can I change it so the pump runs only when heat is called?

thanks

Reply to
aytchkay

You have to describe the entire system. Is this the only circulator, or are there others. Does the system use zone valves?

Typically you would have a low voltage thermostat energize a switching relay that sends power to a circulator, and to the burner, but it all depends upon the components of the system

Reply to
RBM

Did you ever oil it regurarly as stated, no you didnt. Oiled B&G last nearly forever. Get a new tech.

Reply to
ransley

He may have jumpered the contactor for the pump or jumpered the control voltage for the contactor or wedged a piece of paper in a relay. There is probably a lot of ways to do a rig like this.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Basically, you need a simple relay. When the burner comes on, it energizes the relay which has a set of N.O contacts. Wire the pump motor through that contact. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba