Cell phone / home.repair /OT

Page 2 of 2

wrote

He gave you the correct answer. If you have an ATT phone, all you have to do is insert the old sim in the new phone if the new phone is not locked into another system. Also depending on how you saved your phone numbers, they may also be saved in the sim and you will not need to put them in tehnew phone. Some phones give you the option of storing numbers in the sim or phone memory, or a combination of both.
Over the years I have had several 'free' ATT phones. Sometims when I get a new phone, I find I like the old one beter and just switch the sim card back.
The rice idea is a good one also. Sometimes the water is not a problem when it drys out.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I've even heard of people using *distilled* water and 91% isopropyl (50/50) to dunk the phone if the contaminant was 'sticky', like sugar soda.

Get the battery out *immediately*, however.

Of course!
wrote

I'm going to give it a few days in rice, then go to ebay. Seems I can get one for about 1/3 what they want at CellPhonesRUs.
Just wanted to ask before buying something that might be another migraine.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Go buy a $10 pre-paid AT&T phone in the meantime. Just put your SIM in and it will work.

No phone call needed to ATT. I did this not long ago, not with a prepaid but with a friends old phone. I went online and it knows what phone I am using.
My old phone died due to absence from anger management.

Here is a place to get phones and accesories cheep. I have ordered a few things from them several years ago. http://www.cellphoneshop.net /

Whenever I get a new phone I keep the older one. That way if the new one were to die, I always have one. With Verizon you can get a pretty decent phone for either free or $50 every 2 years. So, I figure if one gets lost or quits, I could just go back to the previous phone until I'm elligible for the upgrade deal again.
Steve B wrote the following:

I have Verizon cell phone service. My original phone, a Motorola Razr3 bought from Verizon with the plan, got dropped and damaged. The phone still worked, but the display panel was cracked. Fortunately, my daughter had previously had the same Razr3 before she bought a new upgraded phone and plan, and her old, now unused Razr was still in the house. I just went to the Verizon site and changed my service from my broken phone to her old Razr. No problems changing it, no charge, kept my same phone number, and the change was instantaneous.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY