Ceiling Medalion

Won't the screws crack the medallion?
John Grabowski wrote:

Mine is plastic. Very light weight too. I am going to have my friend use a very thin screw and screw it onto the ceiling. There won't be a stud, but it should work.
The caulk has held today, but I am afraid with the hot weather we get here that it could crack, and let go, so hopefully the screws will work.
Does this sound OK?
Thanks.
John Grabowski wrote:

*I'm not sure what you mean by thin screw. You would want something with a big enough head on it so that it doesn't slip through the surface plastic. The inside is foam so there is not much holding power there. The drywall screws work well because the head is perfect for applying some pressure without penetrating the surface plastic and the threads grab the drywall well enough to pull the medallion tight. It is very important to not overtighten the screws. If you overdo it the threads will not hold well in the drywall and you don't want the screw head to penetrate beyond the surface of the medallion. I always screw near the ornate part of the medallion so the screw head will blend in after it is coated with a little dap of caulk.
John Grabowski wrote:

This medallion is made of plastic, with no insulation at all. You bring up a very good point. But, now I am concerned that the screw may crack the medallion as it is hollow inside. We plan to pre-drill. I will get drywall screws. Thanks for all of your help.
On 3/3/2009 11:17 AM Kate spake thus:

First of all, you're *waaaaay* over-thinking this. It's a lousy plastic medallion, for chrissakes. OK, not "lousy" in the sense that it improves the decor in your room, but we're not talking about a piece of cast brass here. It's lightweight plastic.
Forget screws! All they'll do is dimple, crack or otherwise deform the poor thing. Don't know why anyone even suggested them (they may have been thinking that this was a heavyweight piece of plaster, wood, etc.).
The caulk will hold just fine. Think about it: there's practically no weight there, so no need to be concerned about the gap opening. And the gap is no doubt due to an uneven ceiling as you surmised, which is not uncommon.
By the way, another suggestion for replying to messages here and elsewhere: in addition to bottom-posting, which you've learned to do nicely (thanks!), it's also good practice to *trim your posts*. No need to include every single word that was written since the thread started. Just include the stuff relevant to what you're replying to, as I did here.
Good luck.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

Hope I trimmed this correctly.

On 3/3/2009 4:28 PM Kate spake thus:

Well, sorta, sorta not.
Notice that your answer ("It is a done deal", etc.) came out as part of *my" quoted text; you apparently started typing immediately after my reply that you were responding to, so your reply got mixed up with what you were replying to (does that make sense?)
Best thing is to make sure you have at least one blank line between the text you're replying to and your reply. That way the poor little newsreader (your Thunderbird program) won't get all confused.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
Best thing is to make sure you have at least one blank line between the > text you're replying to and your reply. That way the poor little > newsreader (your Thunderbird program) won't get all confused.
OK, see if this works. Do I need to cut and paste, or is this OK?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/3/2009 5:29 PM Kate spake thus:

Why is this so difficult? And why would you need to cut and paste? (Yes, your reply was OK.)
Alright, let's see if your news client (Thunderbird) is set up right. Since you want to bottom-post, there's a setting to make that easier. In the Tools menu, select "Account Settings...". The Account Settings dialog will open.
Go to the "Composition & Addressing" item under the account name on the left. In this dialog, the second item is a checkmark item, "Automatically quote the original message when replying". This is probably already checked, but make sure it is.
Right below it is the control that selects between top-posting, after the word "Then,". Select "start me reply below the quote".
Now, when you reply to a message, your cursor will automatically be positioned after the quoted text; all you need to do is start typing. (Well, that and any judicious trimming you may want to do to the quoted text.)
You can also reply *between* paragraphs of quoted text, like:
> But she said ...
Then I told her ...
> And she was going to ...
So I went over and ...
You get the idea. Just make sure that your replies are clear of the quoted text so they don't become part of the quote (anything after one or more ">" is quoted text; the number of ">" indicates the nesting level, or how many replies back the quote was from the current posting).
Does that help?
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:43:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl
RFC 3977 ?
Formally 977.
On 3/3/2009 6:55 PM Oren spake thus:

What does the NNTP protocol have to do with anything?
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:08:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl
Posting in these newsgroups? You tell me.
Standards were set for newsgroups. Some folks are not familiar.
I can be wrong, as you can relate?
It was a pointer for the lady; just, imagine.
Without NNTP you would not read this text.
(..move back to a ceiling medallion)
On 3/3/2009 9:12 PM Oren spake thus:

I think the ins and outs of the NNTP protocol are a little beyond what the woman who asked about her medallion wants to deal with, no disrespect to her intended. It's just a matter of learning how to steer your news client to make nicely formatted posts, for which you need to know *nothing* about NNTP (denks Gott!).
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
Yes. It helped. The box I had checked was the one "Start my reply above the quote". Thanks. I think I have it now. Sorry for all the hassle.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Kate wrote:

Whoops, I had checked the right wording, but I checked the area for emails, and not newsgroups. This should do it. If not, I am at a loss. The good thing is that I don't post much here. LOL
On 3/4/2009 12:35 AM Kate spake thus:

[...]
This one worked. By the way, I would recommend bottom-posting for both newsgroups and for email. It just makes more sense (you read from top to bottom, not from bottom to top, right?). It *will* make your emails different from 90% of other's, who just use their email program "out of the box" without bothering to even check their settings, but it will make them more sensible.
mostly pears.

*Kate I never saw a hollow medallion so I cannot give you the benefit of my personal experience. It is possible that screwing it may indeed have a detrimental effect. With the foam filled models the screws bring it up closer to the ceiling all around to minimize the gap. Some manufacturers have even enclosed drywall screws with their medallions. If you are satisfied with the results by just caulking then I would leave it alone. Wait and see what effect age and heat may have on it if any. You could try and contact the manufacturer for their advice.
*Kate I never saw a hollow medallion so I cannot give you the benefit of my personal experience. It is possible that screwing it may indeed have a detrimental effect. With the foam filled models the screws bring it up closer to the ceiling all around to minimize the gap. Some manufacturers have even enclosed drywall screws with their medallions. If you are satisfied with the results by just caulking then I would leave it alone. Wait and see what effect age and heat may have on it if any. You could try and contact the manufacturer for their advice.
I am leaving it as is. It looks good. Many, many thanks.