Ceiling Medalion

Page 1 of 3
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.
It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.
What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?
Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks Group.
Kate
On 3/1/2009 11:03 PM Kate spake thus:

Two possibilities, depending on the nature of the gap (hard to tell from your description and without pictures):
1. If the medallion is flexible or moveable, you *might* be able to glue it, as you proposed, but this is unlikely to work. Don't try super glue: not made for this kind of repair, and won't hold. (Likely to glue your fingers to something, though.) The problem is holding the medallion tight against the ceiling: tape might work, but probably not.
2. More likely is that you'll need to work a little bit of filler into the gap, then clean it up, then possibly touch up the paint next to it. I'd probably use drywall "mud" (similar to Spackle) since I have a lot of it; you could also use painter's putty, caulk, whatever you have around. Work it in with your finger, then clean up with a damp rag.
If the gap really is tiny (1/16" or less), it'll disappear right quick.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Kate wrote:

Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be able to paint it. I assume you followed installation instructions when you put the medallion in place?
My boyfriend installed it, and after the fact, I read that it should be caulked first. We hung a chandelier. The best bet would probably be to take it down and start over. Sigh!
Thanks.

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.
Could you please tell me how not to do this? I don't post on newsgroups a lot, and not that savvy.
Thanks.
Oren wrote:

Sweets I don't know using your NNTP reader:
"Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)"
When you reply, there might be an option to quote text.
Check tools, format, or a reply option?
Did it work this time? Thanks.
Oren wrote:

Just scroll down to the bottom, then type there.
Topposting is a recurring problem. The convention for Usenet has always been to post at the bottom of the message. This is so the thousands of other readers, who don't come in until late in the discussion, can still figure out how the conversation went. (You do know that you're broadcasting in the clear, don't you?)
When e-mail systems became more widespread, they defaulted to adding your reply at the top. That doesn't really matter when there are only two people who will ever see the messages, but it convinced lots of new Usenet users that Usenet should be like e-mail. They get very nasty about it sometimes. I blame Microsoft--everything else is their fault, right? ;-)
If some people type at the top, and other people type at the bottom, third parties will never be able to figure out who said what in what order. You can try to read the old messages, but my frequent experience is that the oldest message still on the server is the one that's messed up.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

You're doing great. Good luck with your medallion.
By the way, you fixed it the same way I would have done it. If it's sitting still, the caulk will work just fine. The caulk _will_ shrink over time, but that's _years_ in the future. Just fix it with a little more caulk, unless the old stuff is falling out.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

help on my medallion, and how to reply properly in newsgroups.
Hopefully,I won't be bothering you any time soon.
Kate wrote:

Caulk is great for hanging stuff on the wall that you don't plan to remove....children's art stuff, like their first school ceramics project (my most valuable possessions :o)
If the medallion is foam, it will probably stick forever. May have to tear up the ceiling and the medallion if you want to remove it, but, then, it will be a good excuse to redecorate :o)

It is definitely stuck in place. A friend is planning on drilling in a few very tiny screws just to be safe. We get very hot weather here, and we are concerned it may deteriorate over time. I suppose I am going overboard here, but just want to thank everyone for their help.
It is made of plastic which is a joke as it cost me $26 for a 16" piece. But, it did the job, so no complaints.
I am definitely pleased with the results.
Many thanks.
Kate wrote:

After you hit the reply button, just put your cursor where you want to begin typing...hit "enter" a couple of times for line space and you are ready to go...
Top or bottom isn't that tough .. just look at what Kate said, then look at who she is replying to..........does it really matter?

Moving one finger over a mouse wheel is exhausting. Whew!

On 3/2/2009 4:46 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

What are you talking about, "the oily kind"? In fact, that's the type I use (Crawford's painter's putty), which is oil-based, and is made to be paintable after drying (after all, that's the whole point of the exercise).
Are you talking about window putty? Even that's paintable, although it takes much, much longer to dry. The stuff I use is ready to paint in 24 hours.
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

*Whenever I put those things up I always use generous amounts of the recommended adhesive and shoot in a few drywall screws as well. Despite that effort there are always gaps. The best thing to fill the gaps is paintable caulk.
Kate wrote:

I assume "a tiny gap" is about 1/16-1/8"? The normal procedure would be to use paintable caulk to fill the gap, let that cure and paint over as for the rest of the ceiling. How is the medallion held in place?
FWIW, a basic "how to" book for homeowners would be a good investment. It helps save money to know in advance what steps should be taken for remodeling or repairing. You may also find "how to" brochures where they sell caulk. There are zillions of kinds of caulk and what you should look for is for interior, paintable, nothing fancy. Water clean-up.
I just got a ladder up there, and I think the gap is bigger than that.
I will probably use caulk if I can get it up in their neatly. Any ideas how I can hold the medallion up until the caulk dries?
The medallion is held in place just by a light fixture cap.
Thank you.