Ceiling fan: brands?

Page 2 of 2

Two problems I have with Hunter, Many of them are very heavy and require special bracing above the wiring box, and many of them use the most ass backward hardware and mounting methods. IMO, whoever invented the ball hanger, was a genius. The way I see it, the second the patent expired on that design, every fan manufacturer should have adopted it, and most did, but not Hunter, they continued to use the most archaic methods available. One of their fans is a flush mount. The steel mounting plate has rubber standoffs that keep the plate a specific distance from the ceiling. If you overtighten the plate, the rubber mounts pop through the sheetrock, leaving no way to tighten the screws without drawing the plate too close to the ceiling for the motor housing screws to line up. I would expect stupid designs on cheap fans, not Hunter, yet some of the most clever designs are on fans like those from HD.

Is there a plain vanilla Casablanca fan for $200?

Yes, and no. Here is a link to a site that sells traditional casablanca fans. The fans that are less expensive are not "true casablanca" fans, but imports that casablanca sticks their logo on. These are still pretty good fans, as even in the less expensive market, casablanca still has a reputation to uphold. The most traditional and probably the best selling fan they make, the Panama, seems to go on sale every summer for something in the $200 range. Of the hundreds of fans I've installed over the years, I've installed more Panamas than any other model of fan, and barring a rare defective unit, every single one of them runs balanced and silent.
http://lightingbygregory.com/lighting/category/casablanca-fan-traditional.html

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 07:23:23p, RBM told us...

Emerson fans feature 3 grades/types of motors in various styles, which reflect a wide price range as well. Their top grade motor has a lifetime full replacement warranty, requires absolutely no maintenance other than surface cleaning, and is perfectly silent in operation.
Apart from the Hunter Original (which weighs in at ~50 pounds, I wouldn't buy any other fan than Emerson. I've owned 5 of them for many years, have moved them from house to house several times, and they still perform like they were new out of the box.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I've installed a lot of brands of ceiling fans over the years. The best was Minka. Very well made fans.

Good point of Casablanca: Had one that was like 15 yrs old and started doing retarded things like going in wrong direction, going from med in one direction to high in the other, etc. Went online and got new electronics kit from Casablanca - board and switches - for $17. Like new.
Good point of econos: Was in Lowes recently and they had some special purchase white ceiling mount 52" fan with a single light. Twenty bucks and I got a $2 discount. Works fine. No hum or wobble. For 18 bucks, when it goes then out it goes.
On Thu 25 Jun 2009 06:24:46p, woger151 told us...

Aside from SWMBO's preferences, I would highly recommend Emerson ceiling fans. IMHO, Casablanca fans are stylish but decidedly mediocre in quality. Most Hampton Bay fans are relatively poor quality. Hunter fans range from very cheap (and cheaply made) to very expensive and of high quality. However, their very best fans are exceedingly heavy and require special mounting to secure them.
Emerson also makes a wide range of fans in a wide range of prices. Their best fans will last a lifetime and are well worth it. Remote controls are available for most of their models. They also offer some very nice styles.
Of the brands mentioned, only Hunter and Emerson have been producing ceiling fans since the early 1900s.
HTH
--
Wayne Boatwright

I made the recent post about the Casablanca install issue. Casablanca sent a factory warranty electrician over with new reciever and remote, and rewried the fan we had issues with. It works like a charm.
Casablanca really came through for us, and the jury is out as to whether the initial problems were due to a faulty reciever or improper handling and installation by the electrician (twice).
Now that it is running, it is quiet, cooling, and looks damned good. I recommend them highly. There is no underlying motor buzz, which we have in another (cheap) fan elsewhere. My $.02, don't cheap out an anything you may have to sleep with every night ;-)

I made the recent post about the Casablanca install issue. Casablanca sent a factory warranty electrician over with new reciever and remote, and rewried the fan we had issues with. It works like a charm.
Casablanca really came through for us, and the jury is out as to whether the initial problems were due to a faulty reciever or improper handling and installation by the electrician (twice).
Now that it is running, it is quiet, cooling, and looks damned good. I recommend them highly. There is no underlying motor buzz, which we have in another (cheap) fan elsewhere. My $.02, don't cheap out an anything you may have to sleep with every night ;-)
Quiet and balance has always been Casablanca's claim to fame. The issues you had could have been a result of either possibility. years ago they were really great about sending people for in warranty repairs, but since Hunter bought them, that service has all but vanished. It's only available in a handful of locations

I have 5 Hunters in the house. Smooth quiet operation.

A tangential complaint I have is why so many of the fan manufacturers are down-sizing the light kits on their fans? I can't find a light kit with the bowl cover (not the individual sconces) that uses a standard base - they're all going to candelabra with 60W max. which doesn't put out enough light to use as the primary light source in, say, my bedroom.
Grrr.

Grrr. ================== Maybe they're finding that customers aren't buying the ones with individual fixtures. Take a look at Casablanca. When I bought mine many years ago, some of their models could be fitted with a number of different lighting options.