Ceiling fan: brands?

I want to buy a ceiling fan for a medium-sized bedroom with 8' ceilings.

The brands that SWMBO has looked at on the web include Hunter, Hampton Bay, and Casablanca.

Some advice I've seen on the web and usenet include things like (a) remote controls often break, (b) some intelligent chip thing on Casablancas can burn out in power surges and they won't ship you a new one for free, etc.

I'm asking about the brands now because much of the advice I found is at least a few years old and thus of questionable applicability to fans available now.

TIA,

woger151

Remote control is great in a bedroom.

Reply to
LouB

Hampton Bay is a store brand for HD which imports their fans from China.

I bought two fans from a ceiling fan store. They move a lot more air than the HD & Lowe's fans we have. So much so that we never run them on high. The Hampton Bay fan in our master bedroom does not move as much air as a fart.

Reply to
cm

There's a 20 year old Casablanca fan in my previous house, with electronic wall switch (for speed control), but no remote control. Nothing has broken. I'm about to replace the Hunter fan in my current house with a Casablanca for one reason: The old Casablanca was perfectly balanced (no wobble) and totally silent unless it was turned to high, in which case the predominant sound was just the blades moving through the air. But not the motor.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Same at my house. I'd buy another Casablanca

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hampton Bay is just a trademark of HD, the fans are made by a variety of companies, some are really well made and quite inexpensive, but it is kind of pot luck. Emerson and Minka-Aire are two other companies that make mid grade perfectly good fans as well, and like most of the Hampton bays fans, will typically mount to standard fan support boxes.

Reply to
RBM

Always bought Hunters in the past but the house we bought last year has a Casablanca in our bedroom and it's the quietist fan I've ever owned\\not heard.

Reply to
gilb

I've installed a lot of brands of ceiling fans over the years. The best was Minka. Very well made fans.

RicodJour

woger151 wrote in news:fe924b3a-2fa4-48b9-9687- snipped-for-privacy@e20g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Good point of Casablanca: Had one that was like 15 yrs old and started doing retarded things like going in wrong direction, going from med in one direction to high in the other, etc. Went online and got new electronics kit from Casablanca - board and switches - for $17. Like new.

Good point of econos: Was in Lowes recently and they had some special purchase white ceiling mount 52" fan with a single light. Twenty bucks and I got a $2 discount. Works fine. No hum or wobble. For 18 bucks, when it goes then out it goes.

Reply to
Red Green

Yeah. Instead of controlling the fan at the entrance to the room, you get to tear the bedsheets apart, look under the bed and nighttables, behind the bed, and perhaps in several other rooms looking for the remote.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 06:24:46p, woger151 told us...

Aside from SWMBO's preferences, I would highly recommend Emerson ceiling fans. IMHO, Casablanca fans are stylish but decidedly mediocre in quality. Most Hampton Bay fans are relatively poor quality. Hunter fans range from very cheap (and cheaply made) to very expensive and of high quality. However, their very best fans are exceedingly heavy and require special mounting to secure them.

Emerson also makes a wide range of fans in a wide range of prices. Their best fans will last a lifetime and are well worth it. Remote controls are available for most of their models. They also offer some very nice styles.

Of the brands mentioned, only Hunter and Emerson have been producing ceiling fans since the early 1900s.

HTH

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

That is a user problem that we never had in 12 years. Perhaps some people are not smart enough to use a remote, for the rest they are very nice.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Remotes are designed that way. The government requires that remotes be able to move and hide themselves in order for 'couch potatoes' and 'layabouts' get some exercise.

Reply to
willshak

That's about to change. The democratically controlled congress has declared that "couch potato" is a disease and has set aside billions of dollars from their trillion dollar healthcare reform plan to help couch potatoes find their remotes and wipe their asses.

cm

Reply to
cm

I made the recent post about the Casablanca install issue. Casablanca sent a factory warranty electrician over with new reciever and remote, and rewried the fan we had issues with. It works like a charm.

Casablanca really came through for us, and the jury is out as to whether the initial problems were due to a faulty reciever or improper handling and installation by the electrician (twice).

Now that it is running, it is quiet, cooling, and looks damned good. I recommend them highly. There is no underlying motor buzz, which we have in another (cheap) fan elsewhere. My $.02, don't cheap out an anything you may have to sleep with every night ;-)

Reply to
gwandsh

How about Monte Carlo, like

Chris Nelson

How about Monte Carlo, like

I'm not familiar with this brand. It looks like a decent fan, and I really like the up light feature. I've run in to a few that have up lighting, and it's really nice. For $200 you should be able to buy a very good quality, classic design fan, from just about any manufacturer

Reply to
RBM

I made the recent post about the Casablanca install issue. Casablanca sent a factory warranty electrician over with new reciever and remote, and rewried the fan we had issues with. It works like a charm.

Casablanca really came through for us, and the jury is out as to whether the initial problems were due to a faulty reciever or improper handling and installation by the electrician (twice).

Now that it is running, it is quiet, cooling, and looks damned good. I recommend them highly. There is no underlying motor buzz, which we have in another (cheap) fan elsewhere. My $.02, don't cheap out an anything you may have to sleep with every night ;-)

Quiet and balance has always been Casablanca's claim to fame. The issues you had could have been a result of either possibility. years ago they were really great about sending people for in warranty repairs, but since Hunter bought them, that service has all but vanished. It's only available in a handful of locations

Reply to
RBM

Illogical, but fun to read.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why so, pretty much beyond that price range you are paying for fancy controls or styling. Every reputable company that builds classic style , or traditional style fans, will have a good quality fan in that price

Reply to
RBM