CCW stops robbery...lucky!

Page 3 of 5
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And while we're at that, someone did mention a reason in the quote above.
--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

I already did my time with toddlers. I enjoyed it very much, but here in this newsgroup, I will not wait for them to catch up.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

On older revolvers it is possible for the gun to go off if you drop it on the floor just right. If you carry the hammer down on an empty chamber, it can't happen. When you pull the trigger or cock the hammer, the cylinder turns and parks a loaded chamber in front of the hammer, ready to go.
That's the reason. Some people do it; most probably don't bother. Personally, I've never dropped a firearm. And back when I carried a Colt Govt. model .45, I carried it cocked and locked. As for revolvers, I've never carried one for personal defense.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Nope.
N/A
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

I've got the KelTec 3AT, and consider it very safe for the same reasons.
Steve
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:02:13 -0800, "SteveB"

I like my revolver. I pull the trigger and she fires! No real safety problems in 30 years:)
Oren --

police carry with a round in the chamber.So do I. First shot is DA,a long,heavier trigger pull.(on my PA-63) I suppose you could carry a revolver.
the best safety is the human holding the gun.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Everyone has their preferences, and I have no truck with that one bit :-)

Amen.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

All my CCW weapons are carried with a live round in the chamber. Why on earth would one NOT have a live round in the chamber? Modern weapons have new designs where they will not discharge if dropped on the hammer. On older weapons, that was why it was carried on a dry hole. With some semiautos, it takes quite a bit of effort to load the first shell. And a bit of time, too, which could make all the difference. I carry my semi-auto with one in the chamber, hammer down, with 17 behind it. It takes a full trigger squeeze to fire the first round, and then it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.
Carrying on empty? What do you do, say wait a minute while I load?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Good for you.
>Why

Personal choice.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't affect how *I* want to carry.

Not with my Baretta.

Not really.

Double actions tend do do that.

A minute? I'm racking as I'm clearing my holster. If it takes you a minute to make a simple movement then it makes sense for you to carry with a round in the chamber. Personal choice in the way anyone chooses to carry is just that....personal choice. I'd appreciate it if those who choose to do it differently than I do to knock off the criticism and be happy with their own choices.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

I'll confess to carrying with the chamber empty sometimes, and other times, with one in the chamber. It's a Kahr K-40, so there's no safety. My criteria for deciding how to carry at any given time are so complex that I'd rather not try and explain. But, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the likelihood of the gun being dropped.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In reality, I do it the same way. If I feel I'm going to be in a threatening environment, I put one in the pipe. But that is few and far between, as I prefer to avoid areas of potential trouble if I can.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

If I'm in a crowded place where I'm gonna get jostled a lot, I never keep one in the pipe. In rec.guns, I'll occasionally see some fake soldier claim there's no way anyone could get his gun out of his holster because he's so tough. Bullshit. There's always someone stronger or faster.

racking as you clear the holster sounds like a good way to have an accidental discharge. ever hear the term "slam-fire"?
it also requires you have both hands free.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Chuck Taylor and Massad Ayoob both disagree with your theory. You should learn how to do it right. Until then, you should contain your defective theory.
Jim Yanik wrote:

You don't know much about the Baretta 92F I take it.

So do many other handgun manuevers. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Gawd, for supposed gun rights and ccw supporters who dislike nanny government, you folks sure seem to like individual nannyism.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

I know its BEretta("Baretta" is an old Robert Blake TV show),and it probably has a spring-loaded firing pin,not free-floating. IIRC,it's DA/SA,so you -could- carry it with a round chambered,hammer down,and eliminate the extra step at a critical moment. That's my major beef;it's one more thing you gotta do in a CRITICAL moment. Plus,you get to carry one extra round!

Stubborn,aren't ya? ;-)

Hey,we're just discussing the pros and cons here,not mandating anything. chill out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Sorry; I'm more concerned about its function than it's spelling ;-)

Right. With it's safety engaged, there's no chance of a round accidentally from any cause. Which is why there is no risk of a slam-fire.

Fair enough. My point is, that I don't have that same beef.

Not in everything :-)

I'm chilled. But I won't be bullied about my preferences. Go back and look at the thread, Jim. All the criticism about chamber-empty carry, centered around direct responses to my answer to a question. If y'all had simply answered the same question with your own responses, *THAT* would have been a discussion. But to pile up on my response, addressing me about why *MY* carry method is wrong ain't close to a discussion.
I respect you, Jim, and we're on the same side of the RKBA issue, but I don't have to justify my style of carry to anyone :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

No, sometimes it's an effort to correct a misunderstanding or misaprehension of how a firearm works. At least two or three times a year we hear of some cop who puts a Glock in his POCKET and is amazed that if blows off his nuts when he sits down.
I saw a video of an army MP sergeant who could draw a 1911 from a fastened flap holster, chamber a round, and fire in 0.17 seconds! With enough practice (and God knows, a sergeant of MPs hasn't much else to do), just about anything is possible.
HeyBub wrote:

So you're worried I'll blow my nuts off, or that I'm carrying in a dangerous manner? Sorry, but I have to call partial B.S. on that :-) Go back and look at the thread and you'll see that I never stated that carrying with one in the pipe is dangerous, or harped on anyone for doing so.

I don't use a holster with a flap, and I practice drawing and racking.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com