Cat Doors

Page 3 of 4
On 12/25/2010 7:10 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Quite a few, although not so many lately. I've got pics!
The Chipmunks usually show up live, the mice never.

Oh, I can imagine!

I believe that. It's a skill, I've seen the kittens going off with Mom to learn. Some cats are excellent hunters, some are failures. All are intensely interested. It's instinctive.

Not here, any ways.
I understand that down under, feral cats are a real threat to some birds. I rarely see them take a bird though.
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

They are ass hats. Maybe they'll shoot each other and make everyone happy.
On 12/26/2010 5:37 AM, LouB wrote:

I remember reading something about hunters in England shooting stray dogs. I think it was a government sanctioned way to keep the feral dog population down. I don't know if it's still practiced there or not. I did a little search and didn't find anything definitive except the fact that there are people who care more about animals than they care about their fellow human beings. Darn, I'm going to have to start up PETI again "People for the Ethical Treatment of Insects".
TDD
<...snipped...>

I dont know if it is still in effect, but when I was a kid growing up in a small Pennsylvania town, the state paide a bounty, IIRC 25 cents, on stray dogs. The ears had to be turned it to claim it. Every so often there would be some jerk arrested for shooting pets.

On 12/26/2010 7:09 PM, Larry W wrote:

It always struck me as funny how a bounty hunter for animals like that or for any kind of critter could possibly start raising them if the bounty was high enough, just to cut off their ears or tails in order to collect said bounty. Bubba's dog ear farm or fox tail farm. :-)
TDD
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:30:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

"How come we only get Dobie ears - from the local vet?"
On Dec 27, 2:08pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Ear and tail docking, and cat declawing, should be illegal. Just as bad as what most of western world does to male baby humans.
-- aem sends...

All nonsense.
On 12/27/2010 2:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I was thinking of something like that, the bounty hunter could go from vet's office to the next getting the carcasses of animals that were put down due to disease or serious injury. :-)
TDD

Don't the English have Pointers?

When your mommy dropped you, she must have dropped you on your head.

Is your only argument IKWYABWAI? Come on, even most Brits are smarter than that! Must have been that drop on the concrete.

Ooo! Good Idea!
On the other hand, I've known people who read the last chapter of a book first - to see how it turns out.
One I know read Revelations.
He's now a practicing Buddhist.

Well, that's one way to get them out of the bathroom faster. ;-)

Scared him?
h wrote:

Look up "Towser" who, for 23 years, was the mouser-in-chief at the Glennturrent distillery in Scotland, makers of Famous Grouse (yum). During her tenure, she dispatched 28,898 mice plus a few rats, pheasants, and rabbits.
She is not only enshrined in the Guinness Book of Records, but has a bronze statue in front of the Glennturrent building.
harry wrote:

The authenticators from the Guiness Book publishers counted them (some extrapolation and interpretation was done I think). Plus who really cares if it was only 28,897 or 28,896? It was still quite a feat.

There was a cat that always was under my BR window at 4.00am. It had a bell on it's collar making noise. My dog could hear it and always barked like crazy. Of course that woke me up each night. One day I talking to a neighbor and happened to mention what was happening. I think I said something like "who the heck puts on a bell and lets a cat out at night". Lo and behold, the bell jingling stopped. I didn't know it, but she must have owned the cat.
:

Cats cannot detect or respect property boundaries.
The cats you let roam loose do damage in my yard, kill small critters and songbirds that live over here, claw my screens, spray their waste in my yard, and torment my dog (who is NOT allowed to go into your yard to do his business or his digging).
How about showing some responsibility for what you own?

id:
Of course not. They're CATS, not people (many of who also do not "respect property boundaries"!

Spray them with water from the hose a few times and they will get the message. Also put mothballs in the flower/veg beds where the dig and they will get the message.
kill small critters - Nature, red in tooth and claw...

May sound harsh, but if they don't learn to get out of the way, TS. I have seen mocking birds in my back yard who TEASE the cat. Bad move!
claw my screens,
Hang mesh bag of mothballs over that part of the screen and they will get the message. Also ask owners (if known) to trim their nails. If they won't, you do it. NEVER, NEVER DE-CLAW!!!
spray their waste> in my yard,
Are these unfixed Tomcats? They're usually the only ones who "spray". Contact your local animal shelter and turn in the cat(s) to be fixed..
and torment my dog (who is NOT allowed to go into your yard to do his business or his digging). If you can catch them in the act, again, a good sharp blast from a water hose repeated a few visits in succession will convey the message.

Sounds like you might have irresponsible neighbors. Possible to negotiate with them? You do spray and mothballs and they get claws clipped and unfixed males fixed.