careful with bulbs!

i have a light in my stairwell. this one is built into the wall. anyway, the light bulb burnt out not too long ago and we replaced it with a 60 watt bulb. probably was maxed at a 40. i know this b/c the heat broke the glass "window" there. so, be careful if you have the same thing I have!
MT

All lamps are required to have a sticker with the maximum wattage on the inside. Not sure when they started but it has been quite a while.
yeah, but this is the orignal lamp, and it is recessed. ah well. gotta find some plexiglass now. any ideas?

Plexiglas may be a bad idea. If 60W= 1.5 x Rating caused the glass to crack then even a rated 40W will melt the Plexiglas. MG

Try using a compact fluorescent lamp. Those little spiral screw in jobs. Almost no heat to worry about and electrical savings.
RickR
PS: I doubt it was the lamp anyway....