Car battery

Page 3 of 5

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The 9 year old battery still starts the diesel with glow plugs and all in zero degree weather.
--
LSMFT

✖

That's great!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 8, 12:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Great right up until it doesn't.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:23:40 -0500, Gordon Shumway

15 years ago if a Toyota battery didn't make 7 years here in the great white north, something was wrong. Don't know if they are still as good or not.
If a Delco battery lasted 5 you were extremely lucky - again, no idea if they have improved or?? The original battery in my PT Cruizer was replaced this winter - 8 years old and although it was a wee bit weak, the problem ended up being a bad battery CABLE (high resistance caused low voltage to starter) - replaced them both.
Original battery in the '96 Mystique was replaced in 1999 - the replacement (motorcraft) is still going strong. (touch wood)
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, My runabout '98 Honda CRV still has original battery. Not even garaged even in winter. Only thing I have done is topped up each cell with distilled water few times and keep the battery top clean all the time. I think batteries take more beating under HOT climate, like in Arizona.
Add pictures here
✖
mentioned this discussion to a friend tonight who just bought 2 new car batteries at K mart. 2 die hards.
Anyhow he reports they have a chart at the battery display showing average life expectncy of car batteries.
the southern states are the shortest, the longest in canada.
hot weather really is tough on batteries.
2 years in places like phoenix, 6 years in toronto canada
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:15:12 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Mojave Desert Nevada:
Car - second battery in 14 years
Truck - third battery in 16 years
Might hit 107 ° today. We must be special.
Add pictures here
✖

Batteries work by chemical reaction that is accelerated by heat and slowed by cold.
If you are in a very cold place and your car won't turn over, you can sometimes get going by bringing the battery inside the house for a few hours and warming it up.
Add pictures here
✖
I've heard to turn on the headlights for a few minutes to warm the battery. I've never tried it, don't know if this works.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

it CAN help - but usually the current drawn by the lights is not enough to heat it up, and is enough to lower the charge availble for starting if it is.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/9/2010 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've seen a lot of silly people turn on their headlights before starting their car because that's what some idiot told them to do.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go with that. What I have done when confronted with an unexpected flat battery on a cold morning is to pour warm/ hottish water over it (being careful not to link the two terminals) to make it excited enough to get me going - with success on all occasions (to my recollection).
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/9/2010 4:20 PM, Clot wrote:

It's basically an under-hood chemistry set, so heat should kick it into gear(no pun). I've worked on outdoor stationary equipment that had battery warmers along with engine coolant warmers.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I've had the same experience, but I don't think it has to do with heating the battery. I think it has more to do with opening a small path of electricity so that the larger starter's electricity path can get through. It's kinda like priming the battery. I know the above sounds silly, but a lot of things that work sound silly on the face of it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You're right. That really does sound silly.

Add pictures here
✖

No, it isn't. It's hyphen, hyphen, space, return.

So is the space.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 19:35:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

-- "Tell me I forget, teach me I remember, involve me I learn." - Ben Franklin
Add pictures here
✖

It does in *my* newsreader, but that's non-standard behavior, and should not be depended on. See full description of standard format here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:41:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Gee.
"...must be delimited from the body of the message by a single line consisting of exactly two hyphens, followed by a space, followed by the end of line.."
All this time I figgered the NNTP servers would resolve the sig line and truncate it.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes.
Add pictures here