Can't keep faucet aerator from leaking. What's the secret?

Hi all:
I've got a Price Pfister kitchen faucet and the chrome screw-on aerator set up has always been something of a problem. Each time I'd remove it for cleaning there would be a very slight leak past the threads upon re-attachment. Over the course of a few days sediment would creep into the threads and the leak would stop until the next time I'd take it off.
Thinking the problem was some aspect of the machining of the aerator I ordered a new one, and this one leaks even worse. Even with the faucet threads wrapped with teflon tape the leak past the threads is significantly worse than with the old aerator, yet the new aerator has a brand-new washer in it.
I've tightened it as tight as I can by hand, which I'd think should be sufficient since you're *supposed* to take the aerator off from time- to-time. The only other thing I can think to do is to get one of those "strap" wrenches to torque the aerator down even tighter but before I resort to that I suppose I could get some plumber's pipe dope and try that.
Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
TIA.
Tom Young
internal or external threads on the spout outlet?

replying to Don & Lucille, Arizona Bill wrote:

Hey Folks. Use the Teflon plumbers 'pipe dope', not the tape. Stays flexible and will stop the leaking. End of Story
On 1/11/2014 9:45 AM, Arizona Bill wrote:

I recommend TFE paste over telfon tape for most applications. However, if the fitting is not tapered, then the application of either might be a waste. Generally, if there is a sealing washer, it is not tapered. I have yet to see a aerator with tapered threads. Shower head fittings come to mind, too.
I'd use the pipe dope. Handy stuff to have around. Often seals better than the teflon tape, IMHO. Use the strap wrench to TAKE IT OFF then.

I just use a pair of channel locks with a rag to keep them from scarring the surface of the metal.
Is it an old faucet?
If so, the threads might have deteriorated, causing a slight gap.

Actually, it's a brand new spout (old one developed a leak at the top of its arch and PP replaced it under warranty) and a brand new aerator assembly (chrome faucet end, plastic aerator insert and sealing washer. No chance of deterioration.
Tom Young
TomYoung wrote:

O-ring?
HeyBub wrote:

the insert in the aerator. Only needs to be hand tightened in place.

I got a complete new aerator assembly that includes the flat washer - not an O-ring - that sits on top of the plastic aerator itself. There's nothing missing as the new assembly looks exactly like the old assembly, it's just that all the parts are new.
Tom Young
Doesn't he own a bar, Paddy O'Ring?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yep, breathing !!!!!

TomYoung wrote:

Yes, you're picking at it. Leave it alone and it will be fine.
Jon
On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:32:16 PM UTC-5, TomYoung wrote:

[...]
Get a handy-type neighbor to come in and install it for you. Forget the te flon tape, pipe dope is better if not as neat. Also, did you get the old w asher/o-ring out before you put the new one in?
On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:45:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

I don't understand why I didnt' get Tom Young's original post, why the thread started with Arizona Bill's reply. Is this just normal missing of posts? That had stopped completely but it seems to happen a lot lately.
Anyhow, Tom, when you say you ordered it, it sounds like you ordered it from Price Pfister, and maybe they expected you to order the rubber washer separately. I don't think they should have, but one advantage of hardware stores is that they generally include extra parts that one needs, and I think if you bought an aerator at a hardware store or big box home repair store, it would come with a rubber washer.