Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

Page 5 of 6
On Jan 1, 11:51am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You seem to have a real hangup about kids being beaten. Problem?
Harry K
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:16:12 -0800 (PST), Harry K

You don't have a problem with men beating women and children?
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:44:40 -0800 (PST), Harry K

I did not make any "claim". I stated some facts. Cheri didn't like the truth, so she started making things up.
On Jan 1, 11:49am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You are looking more and more like an idiot. That _is_ a "claim".
Harry K
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:44:40 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Farthest from the tennants of their religion. They are non-resistant pacifists who do not believe in violence, but also don't put up with much nonsence and believe that to spare the rod is to spoil the child onlt to the extent that when correction is required, it is not with-held. "apply the boot of knowlege to the seat of understanding" as my grand-dad was sometimes heard to say.
On Dec 31 2008, 11:58�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I would need substantiation to believe wife-beating is a practice of the Amish.
Do you have an unbiased source for this?
On Dec 31 2008, 12:58pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You are right even if you are being facetious(sp)
here is a story of how the mennonites work in shunning others: For more than three decades since he was excommunicated by a small, conservative Mennonite sect, effectively severing his relationship with his wife and six children, Robert Bear has tried a lot of things to get his family back.
He has filed a civil lawsuit and gotten arrested repeatedly in what he says is a strategy to discredit the Reformed Mennonite Church and undo the excommunication, called shunning. Once, he even picked up his wife in his arms at a market and carried her to his truck before he was arrested on assault and kidnapping charges.
But Bear, a strapping 73-year-old who lives alone in a small, cedar- sided cabin amid Cumberland Countys farm fields, has never repented to the church to undo the shunning, and said he does not regret his actions.
I wish I had never gotten into (the sect), said Bear, a retired potato farmer who claims 300 years of Mennonite ancestors. But you get into it and the only way you get out is to die.
Despite saying repeatedly in the past that he would end his struggle, he has continued: On Tuesday, Bear avoided jail time on a trespassing charge by promising a Cumberland County judge that he would no longer stage protests of the church at a produce market primarily owned by a church elder.
Neither the employees nor their attorney, Michael Bangs, were relieved. They described a threatening situation in which Bear went into a tirade, shouting through a bullhorn. Bear, who has protested there repeatedly, denied being threatening or using a bullhorn.
Messages left this week for the church elder, Glenn Gross, who is also Bears brother-in-law, were not returned. In the past, Gross has said that Bear earned the shunning by refusing to change his interpretation of the Scriptures.
Bear was first shunned in 1964 when he questioned church doctrine, but was accepted back. In 1972, he was shunned a second time, and decided not to repent on principle.
He now calls the church a cult that controls its members through shunning and depriving men of their wives.
Shunning, a practice designed to shame a member into repenting, has been dropped by most Mennonite sects, said Donald B. Kraybill, senior fellow at the Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Groups at Elizabethtown College.
The Reformed Mennonite Church, which formed in 1812 out of the Lancaster Mennonite Church, has had trouble keeping younger members and has withered to just 275 members in the United States, Kraybill said.
Bears life since his shunning has been a litany of arrests and court hearings, a strategy that Bear uses to draw attention to his fight against the church. Since the 1970s, he has sent rambling, vitriolic letters to many people connected to his cases, prompting some to fear him.
The last time he tried to talk to his wife, about six or seven years ago, she told him to go to hell and his oldest son, whose house is within view of Bears cabin, thinks he is mentally ill, Bear said.
I think everyone would like to prove that Im mentally ill, Bear said, and (sanitys) the only thing I have left.
Telephone numbers could not be confirmed for Bears son or his wife and they could not be reached for comment.
An attorney who assisted Bear when he successfully represented himself in 1979 against kidnapping and assault charges said he wishes that Bear could have moved past the church.
Hes been obsessed, said the attorney, Taylor Andrews. His obsession to bring down the church and just be so preoccupied with those that have acted against him I think has deprived him of what could be the joys of life.
Andrews described Bear as a very decent, respectful, genteel individual who does not present a physical threat, but acknowledges that many have seen him as being dangerous.
Bear said he still loves his wife and never remarried because he does not believe in divorce. His children are no longer members of the church, he said, but he describes his bond with them as broken.
Over the years, Bear has pledged to give up his fight against the church. He later reconsidered, saying that he wanted to fight for others who were also shunned as I wished someone would have done for me.
When you see what it does to marriages and families, Bear said, who would want to have it done to someone else?
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/1879/shunned-man-crusades-against-mennonite-sect-for
I live in lancaster county--home of amish and mennonites and tradesmen of all types KNOW --ask any of them--that amish and mennonite built homes are cut- cornered to make the highest profit margines Mennonites and Amish can almost never get public works projects due to the codes and they know they cant fleece inspectors like they can the general public
also amish and mennonites pay FAR FAR less to their employees than non cult firms as a whole and treat them like cattle or worse
they are evil to the core and it isnt just me--dont ask the idiot tourists from NYC and Joozy who come to see the amish Ask the old timers who have had to deal with the amish and mennonites here in this county and you will get the same disdain from nearly all of them
------ They are NOT a religion but a cult that lives for money and power in this county
----- dbcooper3390 at yahoo dot come

As a Mennonite myself I'd say you are tarring with an awful wide brush. Yes, there ARE some splinter groups that are as you describe them, just as there are some splinter Mormon groups that have 15 wives, and some Catholic priests who abuse little boys, and some atheists who are mass murderers, some Baptists are Jimmy and Tammy Baker. Etc Etc.
Up here in Waterloo County, Ontario, there are MANY very progressive firms that are Mennonite owned. Some are among the very best companies to work for.
There are also quite a few businesses run by very conservative "mennonites" in the area who basically hire only their own. The one group in particular still practices "shunning" and do not eat with "outsiders". They are known as shrewd businessmen - many drink hard cider and smoke cigars - and have phones in the shop (but not the house), have computers and internet connections, and run everything off a diesel generator. Known locally as "the Mennonite Mafia" in jest.
Much of the BEST farmland in the area is mennonite owned and run, with the "family farm" becoming almost predominently a Mennonite phenomenon amongst the "factory farms"
And many of the most conservative are really and truly the "salt of the earth"
As for international conscience, all you have to do is look at the Mennonite Central Committee and MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Association), or MDS (Mennonite Disaster Service) who show up totally unpaid volunteers after the worst disasters to help, clean up, and rebuild. There are teams orking steadily in New Orleans even now, helping those who have nothing and can not help themselves.
As aid organizations go, these 3 are among the top worldwide when it comes to effectiveness - the percentage of total funds that get "to the troups". American and Canadian governments have for many years matched funds on MANY relief projects with MCC in particular, with diaster relief going to places like Rwanda, Eritrea, Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti, the Pacific Sunami area, etc.
They ALWAYS have their own people "on the ground" to be sure relief gets to the intended recipients instead of being funnelled into the hands of crooked governments etc.
So PLEASE, take your Vitriol somewhere else. Check your facts. Yes, like in any other barrel, there ARE a few bad apples - but I'm sure the same can be said for your people, whoever they happen to be.
On Feb 5, 11:21pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And, up your way they still practice HOLY KIDNAPPING of children by Mennonites as well
http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/19595.html?1154167641
You can bs all you want but you know the truth about Mennonites and Amish beliefs Nuff said
BTW--The Mennonites and AMish are KNOWN in Lancaster county for poor quailty cheaply built houses that routinely give owners problems after they are built Try checkinig out some of the huge Mennonite developments built here and subsequent mold and plumbing problems due to sub standard workmanshiip or simply ask the Manheim Township commishioners about some of the ticky tacky developments they allowed in before they realized how poorly Mennonites do their work Here's a clue for you on one.....
link:

Mennonites may be involved in those practices - but on a Noth America-wide Basis less than 10% of mennonites even practice the "shun" anymore. ONLY the extreme old order - which are a small percentage in North America - and a much smaller percentage world-wide.
Nate Nagel wrote:

furniture store a few blocks from here that I go into maybe once a year, just to drool, that specializes in Amish-produced goods. Absurdly expensive, but most of it would easily last a century or more, with reasonable care. I have maybe 30 years left at best, and no heirs, so not much point in my paying the super-high prices. But if I was to hit the lotto or something, and build my dream house, that is definitely where I would go to furnish the place.
You can like a poem or a song, without liking the person that wrote it. I agree that the convoluted strictures the Amish follow are silly, but they sure know how to put pieces of wood together, and I do respect that.
-- aem sends...

after a local problem where gasoline accidently got mixed in kerosene which amish use local news said faxes were going out to amish.
turns out the local amish often have faxes, and phone in their barns. its not allowed in their homes..if to do their job they are allowed to use computers at their place of employment
Rogers ohio has a big flea market, local amish use electronic scales, and such to sell goods
its not allowed in their homes..if to do their job they are allowed to use computers at their place of employment
Rogers ohio has a big flea market, local amish use electronic scales, and such to sell goods
They also use generators for electricity for tools and such. As long as they are not on the grid they are OK. Sounds like a little modern concessions are slipping in to make a living.

There must be alot of Amish electrician jokes.
They dopuppy mills too

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:44:59 -0800, bigjimpack wrote:

The big four legged animals are horses.

Tell me all of them you know except the one about how many it takes to screw in a light bulb.
RLM wrote:

You mean THIS one? TWO.
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/lightbulb.gif
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:55:28 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

duh! And who are the people in the ad? I thought they didn't want to be photographed.
On 12/30/2008 7:21 AM HeyBub spake thus:

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/story/Amish-Fireplace-Ad-Will-these-lower-your-heating/L3YHiZwE-UOwQiHRZ5ZFIg.cspx My neighbor got 2 of these heaters, sent as a gift by her mother.
She was all excited about them before they arrived, looking forward to being warm afterwards. Boy, was she disappointed.
They're totally useless.
By the way, regarding the claims of craftsmanship made in those ads: "hand-rubbed" my ass! The cabinets are obviously sprayed with lacquer or just varnished.