Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

You are the one making the claim, back it up. She does not have to as that wouild be trying to prove a negative.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Exactly right, you beat me to it.

Reply to
George

I did not make any "claim". I stated some facts. Cheri didn't like the truth, so she started making things up.

Reply to
salty

If you were Amish, your father would have beat you instead of Harry K. It's god's will. If your father didn't beat you and your mother regularly, you would go to hell.

Reply to
salty

On 1/1/2009 5:22 AM Robert spake thus:

[snip]

I'm sure that they are "nice people", who furthermore carry on traditions of making useful and beautiful things in the old ways.

But look at the Shakers, who had many of the same practices (some even more extreme), and gave us a rich repertoire of furniture and furnishing designs, but who eventually self-extinguished because of their meshuggah ideas about sexuality, procreation, etc. No new Shakers = extinction. I guess that either never occurred to them, or if it did they decided it didn't matter.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/1/2009 5:22 AM Robert spake thus:

Which, as all of us who have seen the movie "Witness" know, they refer to as "English" (for "foreigners").

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'm dont know much about the Shakers, but I will say that the Amish do their share of reproducing, where most families have at least 5 kids, and often more. I heard of one family that had 17 kids. The problem is there is a lot of inbreeding, and they have a higher percentage of birth defects than average.

Yes, they do refer to anyone who is not Amish as English. This is in reference to our English language. I'm not sure what they would call someone that speaks Spanish or French, but I'd guess they still call them English. The thing is that they speak english most of the time themselves, but when a bunch of Amish guys get together, then they speak their own language, which is a form of German, but not the common German language.

I once went over to one of their farms and they were having an Amish business meeting out in the barn. One of the guys was going to help me do something, and I had to wait until they finished their meeting. Ten minutes later, I was standing there and did not understand a single word of what they were saying, and I felt pretty uncomfortable. I excused myself and told them I was going to go out and pet their horses. The guy who was supposed to help me, said (in English), We'll be done in about a half hour or so, there's a bag of horse treats in the small shed if you want to treat them....... Then they went back to speaking their own language and I went out by the horses. (I understood the horses better, and the horses enjoyed the treats) :)

Reply to
Robert

Absolutely and totally NOT true. Farthest from the tennants of their religion. They are non-resistant pacifists who do not believe in violence, but also don't put up with much nonsence and believe that to spare the rod is to spoil the child onlt to the extent that when correction is required, it is not with-held. "apply the boot of knowlege to the seat of understanding" as my grand-dad was sometimes heard to say.

Reply to
clare

Absolutely false.

Reply to
clare

I see you conveniently ducked what was asked of you. You made (and keep on making) the bizarre assertions you are making without any supporting evidence. Other than continuing to repeat yourself what evidence can you offer?

Reply to
George

ote:

'm not saying

ors, not a glued

well amish do have antiquated ideas of how women should be treated, and inbreeding of such a small society is a problem. recently some inspectors showed up at a amish puppy mill, so the amish guy killed

500 defenseless dogs.

such behavior is well theres no excuse. he didnt want to meet the minimum rules.

pennsylvania is passing a law to prevent this from ever happening again

amish are unnecessarily attacked. not long ago a amish school was vandalized smashing some irreplaceable hand operated equiptement

Reply to
hallerb

Now this I have heard off, although it was never called Sabbath mode when I was growing up.

I knew of families that would turn on the oven to a very low temp before sundown on Friday night so they could use the oven on Saturday. Same went for keeping a pot of water simmering on the stovetop so they could use a flame. I knew of other habits, such as night lights in dark basements, etc.

However, I have never of a Sabbath mode for elevators in high-rises. Granted, I could be wrong, I just never heard of it in NYC.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

__________m___~¿ó___m_________________m___^¿^___m__________

Reply to
RLM

Absolutely true.

Reply to
salty

te:

saying

You seem to have a real hangup about kids being beaten. Problem?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

te:

You are looking more and more like an idiot. That _is_ a "claim".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

saying

I would need substantiation to believe wife-beating is a practice of the Amish.

Do you have an unbiased source for this?

Reply to
celticsoc

e:

Cite?

Reply to
celticsoc

You don't have a problem with men beating women and children?

Reply to
salty

You might also want to do a little googling on Amsih Animal cruelty.

The bottom line is that the whole sales pitch that romanticizes the Amish as some sort of quaint and wonderful throwback to simpler and more "genuine" times is fabricated. They just have better PR people than the Hells Angels and the Taliban. The states where they live make a LOT of money off that false image, so they aren't about to do anything to hurt business. You won't find a lot of information because they work very hard to supress it. They are a little harder to infiltrate than the KKK, and look how long it took to take THAT organization mostly apart.

Reply to
salty