can not remove 1/2 of an exterior door lock...

Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the door frame.

Follow the directions that came with the new lock, in reverse.

Reply to
Matt

I have not been able to find the exact door knob as one that is there now. For that reason I was hoping to take this off first successfully before venturing further, even possibly taking this model with me to find a replacement. How likely is it that the (non-exact) replacement I have will have all the same mechanisms?

thanks.

george

Reply to
Gautam Thaker

Try taking the pins out on the hinges and removing the lock off the door.

Reply to
The hooligan

Most of the locks I've seen have two screws that must be removed before the outside part will slide out. These screws go through a plate that is mounted on the inside. Once these two screws are removed the lock or should I say door knob will pull out from the outside or the key side. Sometimes you have to stick a flathead screwdriver onto the striker and pull it inward toward the center of the lock. This will pull the striker from the door which should open it. Normally when you pull the lock out from the outside the striker will remain in the door and two more screws on the side of the door must be removed. If all this doesn't make much sense, finding a picture on the web might help.

Joey

Gautam Thaker wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Dear Mr. Morgan:

Since I removed the 2 inside screws the our side door know is lose, it comes out partially (no sticking due to any point). It slides about 1/2 inch or so out and get stuck, as if something is holding the exterior part from being pulled apart.

I can't remove the door from the hinges easily as the door as some heavy duty, spring load hinges.

George.

Reply to
Gautam Thaker

Think what this poster was trying to say

"Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the door frame."

Is that you need to remove the parts you can from the door. Most likely the mechanism that retracts the bolt has malfunctioned. I have seen this happen several times. You can use a screwdriver to manually move the bolt once you slide aside or break off the broken part. Generally this requires a CCW turn of the mechanism.

Once you can open the door you are ready to install the new lock. This is the easy part.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

ding ding! we have a winner!

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Did you remove the circlip under the cover thingie that you took the screws out of?

The part that pops into the door frame slides _INTO_ the doorknob assembly. That is why you can't pull it out with out first removing the throw. That being said, you have to get to the edge of the door some other way. Maybe you can use a butter knife in the slot where the inside door knob goes and twist it to work the in-out thingie.

Reply to
Kathy

Subject: can not remove 1/2 of an exterior door lock... Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Gautam Thaker I removed the screws on the inside

It's probably hung up on paint (on the outside). From the inside tap a screwdriver in the tip of the spindle (I think that's what it's called). Should just be able to pop the outside part into the back yard. Then you can fiddle with the bolt to get the door open.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

THanks.

George

Reply to
Gautam Thaker

Subject: Re: can not remove 1/2 of an exterior door lock... Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Gautam Thaker Since I removed the 2 inside screws the our side door know is lose, it

Hi George,

Since have you tried to forcibly hammer it out? Since the lock is trash now anyway, it's worth a shot.

You might also try posting your question on 'alt.locksmithing'.

Good luck,

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have the inside screws out, and the outside door knob slides out the first 1/2 inch without trouble, but then gets stuck. Is the "striker" the piece that moves horizontally and forms the "pin" or "bolt" that actually forms the lock?

thanks.

george

Reply to
Gautam Thaker

Yes, the part you see that comes out from the edge of the door is the striker. When the lock is working right turning it pulls the striker inward toward the middle which opens the door. Usually there are two parts to the inward part of the striker. One is the main door latch and the other is the part that prevents using a credit card to open the door without a key. Using a screwdriver or two or needlenose plies to pull the center of the stricker inward toward the center will open the lock/door. You might have to pull hard on this since it might be bent by now.

This site below has the closest pic I could find of what you need to pull on. This pic is a deadbolt but yours should like similiar.

Look for the 'latch bolt sliding into place'. You'll see part of the center that pulls inward to open the door. I know this pic is not the best example but hope it helps.

Gautam Thaker wrote:

Reply to
Joey

If the latch was in the locked position when you removed the interior knob the latch is what's holding the exterior knob in place.

From the inside look into the knob hole. You should see a slim bar horizontally bisecting the knob hole at latch level. That slim bar should have a hole in it in line with the lock keyway. The hole should have one or two detente points. Put a screwdriver blade (flat) into the detentes and turn away from the latch to unlock.

Best,

Marc

Reply to