Exterior door lock

I am looking for a replacement for the lock on my apartment.

One time a man who was high or drunk, got into my apartment by jiggling his key in my lock.

I do not feel real safe.

I did a search for exterior locks at Walmart and found this link.

Can someone help me with some advice on what to get.

Thanks, Andy Kennedy

Reply to
AK

What do you have now? Get something that looks the same and you'd be good. If what you have is good you can get a new cylinder from a locksmith.

This will help when you are home but won't add any protection if not there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Consumer Reports has their ratings split into types. High Security Door Lock Medeco Maxum 11*603 1. is about $150. Bowley Grade 2 Lock is also about $150

Standard Door Lock Yale Premier Single Cylinder YH82 1 is about $100 Kwikset 980 is about $60 Baldwin Prestige 380 is about $40

They have some of the electronic ones rated. Those have keypads, of course.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If you're living in a rental pro;erty, you're probably not allowed to change the lock.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

And walmart wouldn't be my first, second or third choice for an exterior lock.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I would take the problem to apartment management.

Reply to
Frank

Many years ago, my brother lived in a rented townhouse and misplaced his keys - my key ring had 3 house/apartment door keys on it - 2 of them would open his door with a little jiggling. Those cheapo push-button-in-knob door locks are terrible. Steel door in steel frame with a decent dead-bolt is pretty good. Most wood-door-in-wood-frame can be pried open with a honkin' big screwdriver in a few seconds. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Not necessarily, the most secure have nothing physically accessible at all and commonicate with an RFID or phone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I doubt you need a really fancy lock but I have heard about the ones that can be opened just by hitting the key. I forget what it's called. If I knew the word we could find all sorts of information about it, mabye including vulnerable brands. I presume it is mostly off-brands we've never heard of, not shlage, kwikset, yale. Like Ed says, I'd get one just like the bad one you have but a better brand. The mounting holes will probably be the same, but if not you can check another brand. Not everything Walmart sells is el cheapo, but I think something must be. Get a name brand. If you see a brand and not sure if it's a famous name, ask here.

Reply to
micky

I woudn't worry much about that.

He's supposed to warn you when he wants to come in anyhow, unless tthere is an emergency and there never was, in the 10 years I lived there.

I got the keys from the super iirc, and then the super changed and I assumed then new one had my keys. then the new one was gone soon after. # supers is too many, and after that I never gave copies of my keys to the super. When I changed apartments in the same building, I added another lock with a round key on the inside and out, so that if someone came in through the fireescape, they couldn't unlokc the apartment door.

We didn't lock the double-sided lock when someone was home but the last person to leave did lock it.

Never gave the keys to the super, until I moved out.

Reply to
micky